ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

New passport. Requirements?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

dialectic

New passport. Requirements?

Post by dialectic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:49 pm

Hi fellow members and experts

I am currently in the UK as a tier 2 general worker

My home country has updated its passport format/design and by law I was required to renew it, meaning that the old passport is void and I just received a new one with a different number. I wanted to ask:

1. Do I need to report that to UKVI directly? What is the best way to do it if so?

2. Should my employer inform UKVI about this?

3. I am currently sponsored by a company (company B) after a merger with the company that I was being sponsored under (company A). If the new passport needs to be reported by my employers I understand that has to be done via email and not via SMS, right?

Thank you very much for your insights and advice :)

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Re: New passport. Requirements?

Post by moonlight55 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:07 pm

Change of passport need not be reported to UKVI. Your visa (or BRP whatever is your case) still remains valid on your old expired passport. You need to carry your old passport along with the new one each time you travel.

If you are still keen to have the visa on your new passport, you also have the option of transferring your visa on your new passport. It's optional and the details are here: https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Personally, I don't see a value in spending money in visa transfer.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:27 pm

moonlight55 wrote:Change of passport need not be reported to UKVI. Your visa (or BRP whatever is your case) still remains valid on your old expired passport. You need to carry your old passport along with the new one each time you travel.

If you are still keen to have the visa on your new passport, you also have the option of transferring your visa on your new passport. It's optional and the details are here: https://www.gov.uk/transfer-visa

Thanks moonlight 55

I currently have a BRP. I am asking whether this needs to be reported for 2 reasons

1. I understand my sponsor company needs to have updated records (copies of the passport, etc.) and report changes of my personal details. My CoS currently has my old passport number so I want to make sure whether the sponsor company has to report this based on changes of my personal info.

2. While reading my latest Tier 2 LTR approval letter I saw that personal details need to be reported to the police:

"For those living in the London Metropolitan Police District, changes to your name, nationality, passport/travel document or marital status must be reported to OVRO." Is getting my new passport considered a change of my passport/travel document that I need to report to OVRO?

3. There is also a Change of Circumstances form for changes in "personal details"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-form-mcc

Thanks again. I just want to confirm and make sure :)

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:01 pm

dialectic wrote:
moonlight55 wrote:Change of passport need not be reported to UKVI. Your visa (or BRP whatever is your case) still remains valid on your old expired passport. You need to carry your old passport along with the new one each time you travel.

Thanks moonlight 55

I currently have a BRP. I am asking whether this needs to be reported for 2 reasons

1. I understand my sponsor company needs to have updated records (copies of the passport, etc.) and report changes of my personal details. My CoS currently has my old passport number so I want to make sure whether the sponsor company has to report this based on changes of my personal info.

2. While reading my latest Tier 2 LTR approval letter I saw that personal details need to be reported to the police:

"For those living in the London Metropolitan Police District, changes to your name, nationality, passport/travel document or marital status must be reported to OVRO." Is getting my new passport considered a change of my passport/travel document that I need to report to OVRO?

3. There is also a Change of Circumstances form for changes in "personal details"
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-form-mcc

Thanks again. I just want to confirm and make sure :)
Hi everyone. Just to follow up on this to double check and make sure that there's no need for my sponsor or myself to report my new updated passport. Thanks a lot :)

moonlight55
Diamond Member

Post by moonlight55 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:55 pm

As I said, its optional. If you want to be sure, you can report the change of passport using the change of circumstances form available in the link you've posted.

1. Yes, your employer will need copies of the new passport for their records. I dont think they will have to report anything to UKVI.

2. OVRO is only applicable if you are required to report into police which you will be made aware in the visa approval letter. Are you? If Yes, then you will have to report the passport change to the police.

3. See above.

dialectic

Post by dialectic » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:58 pm

moonlight55 wrote:As I said, its optional. If you want to be sure, you can report the change of passport using the change of circumstances form available in the link you've posted.

1. Yes, your employer will need copies of the new passport for their records. I dont think they will have to report anything to UKVI.

2. OVRO is only applicable if you are required to report into police which you will be made aware in the visa approval letter. Are you? If Yes, then you will have to report the passport change to the police.

3. See above.
Thanks again moonlight55 :)

Yes. I will then report the change to OVRO as I had to register when getting my BRP, will check the change of circumstances link and make sure my employer has my updated passport.

Does anyone else knows whether my employer needs to report this via SMS?

Thanks again eveyone! :)