ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Nationality/Citizenship question

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Irina-Mo
Newly Registered

Nationality/Citizenship question

Post by Irina-Mo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:02 pm

Hi everyone,

I am applying for British Citizenship and I am confused in "1.30 Your mother’s nationality" section as my mother was born in Belarus and she has got Latvian aliens passport, however the third page of her passport states Polish nationality. So I'm not sure what I have to put there. I've contacted UK Home Office regarding this question, they said I have to put Russian National aliens passport. It sounds absurdly and is very confusing. :D Can anyone advise me please?

Thank you.

Summertime76
Newly Registered

Re: Nationality/Citizenship question

Post by Summertime76 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:36 pm

Irina-Mo wrote:Hi everyone,

I am applying for British Citizenship and I am confused in "1.30 Your mother’s nationality" section as my mother was born in Belarus and she has got Latvian aliens passport, however the third page of her passport states Polish nationality. So I'm not sure what I have to put there. I've contacted UK Home Office regarding this question, they said I have to put Russian National aliens passport. It sounds absurdly and is very confusing. :D Can anyone advise me please?

Thank you.
You seem to be confusing nationality with ethnicity. The AN form is asking about parents' nationality to determine if you are eligible for British Citizenship by descent. Your ethnicity might be Belarusian, Polish or Finnish, but if your mother holds Latvian passport - she is a national/citizen of Latvian state and you have to record her nationality as such.

Irina-Mo
Newly Registered

Post by Irina-Mo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:56 pm

Summertime76 wrote:
Irina-Mo wrote:Hi everyone,

Thank you.
You seem to be confusing nationality with ethnicity. The AN form is asking about parents' nationality to determine if you are eligible for British Citizenship by descent. Your ethnicity might be Belarusian, Polish or Finnish, but if your mother holds Latvian passport - she is a national/citizen of Latvian state and you have to record her nationality as such.
Thank you for your reply. The problem is that she holds Latvian Aliens (non-citizen) passport. So what shall I put then? Thank you.

Summertime76
Newly Registered

Post by Summertime76 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:49 pm

Irina-Mo wrote:Thank you for your reply. The problem is that she holds Latvian Aliens (non-citizen) passport. So what shall I put then? Thank you.
I would put it just as it is - Latvia (non-citizen passport) or simply Latvia. Home Office are not looking to establish any other details about your parents, except the for the fact of them having or not having a claim to British citizenship and you claiming it by descent. And as they aren't British, it almost doesn't matter how you word it. But for the sake of consistency, I would put the correct wording as it appears on the passport. I pressume there is an English description of the Latvian (Alien) passport.

Geeky
Newly Registered

Post by Geeky » Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Is she eligible to obtain Polish passport?

I believe the best thing to do is to put Polish as an answer, since this is clearly documented in her passport.

You can of course write a note to explain the situation if you wish, and include "Russian National aliens passport" as an alternative answer to that question.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:00 pm

I believe it would be "Non-Citizen of Latvia"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-citizens_(Latvia)

Summertime76
Newly Registered

Post by Summertime76 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Geeky wrote:Is she eligible to obtain Polish passport?

I believe the best thing to do is to put Polish as an answer, since this is clearly documented in her passport.

You can of course write a note to explain the situation if you wish, and include "Russian National aliens passport" as an alternative answer to that question.
Polish is documented in the passport as a reference of an enthnicity that a person relates themselves to, as an additional information on page 3. Nationality in this case is Non-citizen of Latvia.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:21 pm

It won't be first time HO caseworker has seen such a case.

Explain everything in additional info section of form if it helps.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Irina-Mo
Newly Registered

Post by Irina-Mo » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:46 pm

Thank you very much guys. You have really helped me.