ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Biometric Data Requirements at HTR T1 Now in Force

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jes2jes

Biometric Data Requirements at HTR T1 Now in Force

Post by jes2jes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Summary

Passengers transferring on to domestic flights at Heathrow Terminal 1 are now required by the Border and Immigration Agency to provide biometrics data (fingerprints and a digital photograph) in the domestic lounge. When boarding, fingerprints will be checked, and, if necessary, the photo will also be referenced.

This procedure is needed as the British Airports Authority has introduced a common departure lounge to allow International and UK Domestic transferring customers to use the same retail, leisure and dining facilities in Terminal 1.

These requirements will not apply to passengers transferring on to international flights, or for passengers whose journey starts at Terminal 1.

Detail

The British Airports Authority has introduced a common departure lounge to allow International and UK Domestic transferring customers to use the same superior retail, leisure and dining facilities airside in Terminal 1. To meet with Border and Immigration Agency and airport security regulations, biometric information is required when transferring from international flights onto UK Domestic flights.

When arriving at Terminal 1 you will need to proceed from Flight Connections towards International Departures. At a new security point in the domestic lounge you will be asked to provide your biometric information consisting of electronic fingerprinting and a facial digital photograph. Your fingerprints will be checked again at the boarding gate to make sure that the prints match. If there is any discrepancy with the fingerprints we will use the photograph to confirm your identity.

Customers who start their journey from a UK domestic flight into London Heathrow Terminal 1 and then onwards onto an international flight should continue to follow the signs for Fight Connections as normal.
What is biometric capture?

Summary

Biometrics is the capturing of a passenger's unique finger print, supported by a facial photograph. These details are then matched to the information held on your boarding card.

When the time comes to board your flight, your fingerprints are re-read and photo verified to ensure the same person is boarding the plane as presented when the data was captured.

This allows domestic and international customers to mix in one departure lounge without the risk of boarding passes being swapped and individuals entering the UK without the appropriate Immigration checks.

What are the benefits to the customer?

By supplying your biometric information, you will have access to all the facilities of the main departure lounge. These include far superior retail, leisure and dining facilities to those traditionally seen in the domestic area.

How do I know my data is safe?

All data captured is encoded and is not accessible by any party. All data is destroyed within 24 hours of your flight.

What if I do not want to supply my biometric data?

If you do not wish to supply your data, please inform the staff member when you reach the biometric capture desk.

How long is this facility going to be available?

This new process is going to be in place from Februay 01, 2008 until March 26, 2008 when British Airways moves into Terminal 5 where a biometric process will be in place for all domestic passengers.
[url]Source: http://www.britishairways.com/travel/fl ... blic/en_gb[/url]
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:03 pm

So I wonder what happens if you refuse to take part in this violation of your privacy?

I certainly would not be at all happy with giving my fingerprints like some common criminal. And how do you know that they destroy the data in 24 hours? That's as unlikely as MI5 not listening in on an MP's conversation.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:16 pm

Dawie wrote:So I wonder what happens if you refuse to take part in this violation of your privacy?

I certainly would not be at all happy with giving my fingerprints like some common criminal. And how do you know that they destroy the data in 24 hours? That's as unlikely as MI5 not listening in on an MP's conversation.
I asked myself the same question since no one would know if the data is destroyed or not.

On another note, the US does the above to all persons entering the mainland (with the exception of US Citizens) so it is nothing new.

I guess they want to capture illegal entrants and probably people on the Warning Index System.

I do not trust the present government concerning Data Protection due to recent breaches in lost of millions of personal data (benefit, military, DVLA etc to name a few).
Praise The Lord!!!!

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:21 pm

jes2jes wrote:On another note, the US does the above to all persons entering the mainland (with the exception of US Citizens) so it is nothing new.
That's why I've never been to the US and will never unless they get rid of their fingerprinting system.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Dawie wrote:That's why I've never been to the US and will never unless they get rid of their fingerprinting system.
Well, I guess you're never going to go to Japan from now on either then, as they're now doing the same thing.

http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNew ... 8020071120

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the start to a larger trend, with countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and others just waiting to follow suit. I'd watch that space...

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 am

RobinLondon wrote:... I wouldn't be surprised if this is just the start to a larger trend, with countries like Canada, Australia, New Zealand and others just waiting to follow suit. I'd watch that space...
I agree - I think that fingerprinting (or some other form of biometrical identification) may well become the norm, perhaps in many areas - not just immigration - in lots of countries.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:28 pm

Isn't fingerprinting almost or even already deployed for all UK visa applications?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:26 pm

paulp wrote:Isn't fingerprinting almost or even already deployed for all UK visa applications?
Sure, but it doesn't mean that those of us with British passports have to endure it too!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:30 pm

Dawie wrote:Sure, but it doesn't mean that those of us with British passports have to endure it too!
I take it that fingerprinting wasn't deployed for Sarfers while you were applying for visas before your ILR. Would you have refused to apply for the visas were fingerprinting in place, and not led to you getting ILR/BC?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:33 pm

paulp wrote:
Dawie wrote:Sure, but it doesn't mean that those of us with British passports have to endure it too!
I take it that fingerprinting wasn't deployed for Sarfers while you were applying for visas before your ILR. Would you have refused to apply for the visas were fingerprinting in place, and not led to you getting ILR/BC?
Haha, good question! I suppose it's easy to get on my high horse now, but I guess if they had fingerprinting back then I would have grudgingly accepted it to obtain British citizenship.

Of course, us South Africans are used to being fingerprinted as South Africa has always fingerprinted applicants for identity documents and passports. Doesn't mean it's right though...

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:44 pm

Dawie wrote:Haha, good question! I suppose it's easy to get on my high horse now, but I guess if they had fingerprinting back then I would have grudgingly accepted it to obtain British citizenship.

Of course, us South Africans are used to being fingerprinted as South Africa has always fingerprinted applicants for identity documents and passports. Doesn't mean it's right though...
It does start to feel different after getting BC, not in a bad way though.

Anyway, I don't wish you to be face to face with a US Immigration Officer, yelling down at you like you've got an IQ below zero, all because his automatic fingerprint recognition software isn't working because either you're not pressing hard enough or too hard on the finger scanner. :evil: