ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non-EU husband's family to visit UK PLEASE ADVISE

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Petana

non-EU husband's family to visit UK PLEASE ADVISE

Post by Petana » Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:14 pm

Hi, just wondering if anyone could advise. I would like to invite my husband's family to the UK. I am a resident in the UK with EU passport. My husband is Iraqi currently awaiting reply from HO about ILR. We would like to invite his mother for few weeks. Can I apply for her visitors visa? Is it possible? Any reply is appreciated. many thanks Petana

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: non-EU husband's family to visit UK PLEASE ADVISE

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:23 am

Petana wrote:Hi, just wondering if anyone could advise. I would like to invite my husband's family to the UK. I am a resident in the UK with EU passport. My husband is Iraqi currently awaiting reply from HO about ILR. We would like to invite his mother for few weeks. Can I apply for her visitors visa? Is it possible? Any reply is appreciated. many thanks Petana
To be honest, sounds unlikely but can u give more info about ur hubby and his mother's situation?..
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Petana

Post by Petana » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:32 pm

Hi, not sure what kind of info you need. My hubby came to the UK in 1999 and claimed asylum in 1999. He wasn't answered until 5 year later and received DLR. Last year he applied for ILR and is still awaiting answer. We are both full time working. I have UK residency since 2004. His mother lives in Iraq so do his two younger sisters who are married there. As he doesn't have any leave greanted at the moment, he can not travel and didn't see his mum for nearly 10 years. I would like to invite her for few weeks... ( believe me, I will be happy for her to go back to Iraq later.. no chance of her staying in the UK permanently..) Do you stilll think that there is no chance?

Decus et Tutamen

Post by Decus et Tutamen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:56 pm

Petana,

As the mother-in-law of an EEA national, your husband's mother might consider applying for a family permit. This application is free of charge and would not be dependent upon demonstrating an intention to leave the UK at the end of the stay.

You would simply have to show that you are an EEA national, that you are a qualified person (e.g. working in the UK), that you are married to your husband and that the woman applying for the family permit is his mother.

If successful, your mother-in-law could stay as long as she wishes. :lol:

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:52 pm

Decus et Tutamen wrote:Petana,

As the mother-in-law of an EEA national, your husband's mother might consider applying for a family permit. This application is free of charge and would not be dependent upon demonstrating an intention to leave the UK at the end of the stay.

You would simply have to show that you are an EEA national, that you are a qualified person (e.g. working in the UK), that you are married to your husband and that the woman applying for the family permit is his mother.

Sounds like EEA nationals have more rights in the UK than British nationals themselves. How come such rules don`t apply to the relatives of British nationals??This looks like yet another loophole in EU laws ripe for abuse..

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:04 am

Decus et Tutamen wrote:You would simply have to show that you are an EEA national, that you are a qualified person (e.g. working in the UK), that you are married to your husband and that the woman applying for the family permit is his mother.

She would also have to be dependent on him.
--
Mark Y-M
London

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:06 am

thirdwave wrote:Sounds like EEA nationals have more rights in the UK than British nationals themselves. How come such rules don`t apply to the relatives of British nationals??This looks like yet another loophole in EU laws ripe for abuse..
Does it. Perhaps you should do some research before doing a Daily Mail Reader impression.
--
Mark Y-M
London

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:05 am

Decus et Tutamen wrote:Petana,

Doesn't that still require "dependency" to be established?

Decus et Tutamen

Post by Decus et Tutamen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Yes, dependency would have to be established, but it is simply financial rather than emotional.

If the OP can demonstrate that either she or her husband send her mother-in-law money on a routine basis, this should be sufficient to demonstrate the point.

Petana

Post by Petana » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 pm

That's brilliant. Thank you so much for your answers. We have enough proof that we send money to her every month. We are ready to pay for all expenses and have good balances on our debit cards... If the EEA is granted, can she take a direct flight from Iraq to London and will be admitted to the UK easily in the airport? She is 55 and would fly alone.. she doesn't speak any English so interview etc would be difficult...

Thirdwave - sorry if this post upsetted you...