ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for National Insurance Number

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pumpkinlu

Applying for National Insurance Number

Post by pumpkinlu » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Dear all,

I would like to ask for some advice/recent experience with applying for national insurance number. My partner is about to move to the UK and we are putting together a list of all of the admin matters to sort out, the first one being, obviously, the national insurance number.

It has been about 8 years since I applied for mine and I remember that back then it was not so difficult, but they asked to see a lot of documents, such as a proof of address and evidence of looking for a job. Since then, I have heard that things have been a bit more relaxed, but with the upcoming Brexit I just want to be sure we get things right.

If you or anyone in your family had a recent experience - I would be interested in hearing what evidence you had to bring. My partner does not currently have any proof of address in the UK as he's moving here from abroad. Would a letter from me confirming that he lives with me be sufficient? Would I need to attach my proof of address to the letter?

Also, do they still ask for evidence of "active job searching" as they used to? E.g. automatic responses for submitted job applications etc.?

Many thanks!

L.

KatieWills
Wales

Re: Applying for National Insurance Number

Post by KatieWills » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:06 pm

Hubby recently entered UK from New Zealand and he applied for his NINO shortly after. Ring the number here:

https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

They will ask a few questions (reason for needing NINO, right to work in UK etc) and send out a form to be completed. AFAICR hubby didn't need to send any evidence with his application but he may have had to provide his BRP number on the application form.

Edit: Handy thread here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/settli ... 04909.html
Be humble for you are made of earth, be noble for you are made of stars.

pumpkinlu

Post by pumpkinlu » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Thanks Katie. I believe my partner will need to attend an appointment as he is an EU national and therefore does not have a BRP number. Would be much easier if it could be done just using a form :)

iNick
Newly Registered

Post by iNick » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:09 am

pumpkinlu wrote:Thanks Katie. I believe my partner will need to attend an appointment as he is an EU national and therefore does not have a BRP number. Would be much easier if it could be done just using a form :)
Hello, can you please share your experience with your partner? Was it that easy to obtain NIN and how long did you wait to receive it? How did you manage the proof of address? Thanks in advanced for your reply!

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:29 am

I remember that we went to the JobCentre with partner and at the time just moved in into a Flat. The jobcentre plus made the application then that day for a NHS Number... He then received the number by mail through the post