ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Should daughter apply for ILR SET (O) or form T citizenship?

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Cafm1992
Newly Registered

Should daughter apply for ILR SET (O) or form T citizenship?

Post by Cafm1992 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:08 pm

Hello,

My SO's family has lived in the UK since 1998 and in 2011 was granted discretionary leave to remain for 3 years, this was extended in 2014 and is due to expire this December, at which point they plan to apply for IDR via SET (O)

The youngest daughter was born in the UK in 2001 and meets all the criteria to apply for registration as a British citizen Form T. Due to poor advice they did not realise this was an option for her in 2014.

Is the best course of action for the family to apply for IDR and the youngest daughter to apply straight for citizenship via Form T? Will this have any negative effect on the family's application for IDR?

Thanks.

vinny

Re: Should daughter apply for ILR SET (O) or form T citizens

Post by vinny » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:17 pm

If the daughter succeeds in registering, then it may aid her family's situation.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Cafm1992
Newly Registered

Post by Cafm1992 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi vinny,

Thanks for your reply. In that case, would it be a better idea for her to apply for registration ASAP so that she will hopefully be a British citizen when the family apply for ILR? Or would it be better for the family to apply for ILR and the daughter apply via form T at the same time?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:52 pm

Cafm1992 wrote:would it be a better idea for her to apply for registration ASAP so that she will hopefully be a British citizen when the family apply for ILR?
Yes.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.