ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Just applied - thanks for all the information here

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lynn132

Just applied - thanks for all the information here

Post by lynn132 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:43 pm

Hello everyone and thanks so much for the great info on this board! All the questions I had (and a few I wouldn't have thought to ask) were answered on this forum. I am hoping to go to Scotland and work in the environmental industry.

I have just submitted my application on Feb 3 and got an e-mail from them confirming receipt before Fedex even confirmed delivery. The e-mail included my reference number as well (347xx).

Is there anyone else who has applied in 2005? Given the current reference numbers, there are a lot of people in the queue ahead of us, so maybe we can help each other deal with the waiting.

desiguy

Post by desiguy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:17 pm

goodluck with ur application.

mine was confirmed by them on DEC 1st 2004 with ref 313XX, so seems in 2 months, they have received at least 3400 applications .

WOW. processing is either going to slow down AND/OR there are going to be lot of rejections :roll:

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:00 pm

Good luck with yours, too! So far, I have been pretty lucky - I'm working with a recruiter in my field and have already had one interview and they are trying to set up more. Focusing on Scotland seems to help, given the "brain drain" going on there, plus my field is booming in the UK at the moment, with a "candidate-driven" market.

What is your field? It seems there is no shortage of IT professionals applying through this program, but I haven't seen anyone in my area. I wonder if some of the perceived preferences in approval times has to do with what field you are in and what area of the country you want to live in.

desiguy

Post by desiguy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:31 pm

i am in IT. the processing is supposed to be sequential - FIFO (First In First Out). Recently, some of the approvals have been random eg. Oct & DEC applicants got approved.
You may already know that once you get a confirm job offer, you can apply for urgent treatment. So good for you.
Do u know if IT is also in such demand in Scotland. The new Scottish Governor (or Chief Minister) has been trying to market Scotland as the place to be.

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:41 pm

Yes, I knew about the job offer bit, and have made sure my recruiter knows this (gives him some incentive!). We are trying to arrange a trip to Scotland around the six-week mark so he can set up interviews.

I've heard conflicting things about the IT market in Scotland, but if you haven't already, check out the website:
http://www.scotlandistheplace.com/

The just started up their new advisory service a month or so ago. I'll warn you though, they are very slow to respond to inquiries. The website does have lots of good info though. Check out Glasgow as well, though I think plumbers are the best paid people there, there should be some opportunities worth checking out.

This is another good job website:
http://www.jobs.ac.uk/

desiguy

Post by desiguy » Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:04 am

thanks. will check out the websites.

(wud starting plumbing only if it paid as many $$$$ :lol: )

shonolaku
Newly Registered

Post by shonolaku » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:02 am

lynn132,
You are quite lucky to have gotten your reference no so quick, My application was received by HO on 26th Jan through DHL trackling and I haven't received my ref. no yet. I actually filled the required acknowlegde form using my correspondence addre and email. Can I request for my refence no and How?

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:14 pm

Did you use the new form from November that had the contact sheet at the front?

I think you can send them an e-mail. The address on the website is wpcustomers@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk. Good luck!

shonolaku
Newly Registered

Post by shonolaku » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:25 pm

lynn132,
Yes, I used the November form and actually filled the contact sheet with both my coresspondent and email addresses.

Did HO write you with the email address you gave me i.e
"wpcustomers@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk"

Thanks.[/quote][/url]

Sher

I have my doubts .....

Post by Sher » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:37 pm

Scotland, esp. cities like Edinburgh and Glasgow are amongst the most expensive places in Europe.
Of course, after London !
Shld one yet go to Scotland ?
nJOY !
may u grow by leaps and pounds !

:roll:

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:09 pm

Well, Scotland can be expensive ( as if most of the UK), but that is where my friends and family are. Also, The Scottish Executive is actively trying to attract skilled workers, unlike some other areas, because of the population decline. Late last year David Bluckett was working with the Scotish Executive to put in place some incentives to attract migrnats there, but I don't know what's become of that since David Blunkett resigned.