ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

DavidT
Newly Registered

Application for British Citizenship

Post by DavidT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:41 pm

I am helping a Thai friend of my wife complete Form AN for British Citizenship. She wishes for her married name to be on her certificate (Form AN - question 1.5) but unfortunately she never changed her Thai passport to be in her married name.

Guide AN states :-
The name that you give in sections 1.5 and 1.6 should be the same name that is on your current passport, travel document or Biometric Residence Permit. We will not normally issue a certificate of registration or naturalisation in the name that is different from a person’s official documents. Names that do not match your current passport and /or other identity documents, may also cause problems when applying for a British passport.
If you have married or entered a civil partnership and changed your name, and you wish to be registered in that name, you should change your name on your other passport, travel documents and national identity card, to reflect that name, before sending us your application. This is to avoid a person having official documents in more than one identity.

I have advised her to change her Thai passport into her married name - but she got another friend to phone UKVI and they said to send all her documents and they will make a decision then if to accept her passport showing her Thai surname.

I know UKVI are notorious in giving out wrong information. To me it seems straight forward that if she wants her certificate in her married name then it should match the name on her Thai passport.

Will appreciate any views on this

David

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Application for British Citizenship

Post by CR001 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Citizenship will only be granted in the name that appears in the foreign passport. No way to skim around this. This is to avoid 'multiple identities'.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

DavidT
Newly Registered

Re: Application for British Citizenship

Post by DavidT » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:24 pm

CR001 wrote:Citizenship will only be granted in the name that appears in the foreign passport. No way to skim around this. This is to avoid 'multiple identities'.

Thank you CR001