ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP points to be increased

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Chess
Diamond Member

HSMP points to be increased

Post by Chess » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:12 pm

Where there is a will there is a way.

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:16 pm

Chess,
Could you summarize the article for us? It is only available with a subscription.
Thanks!

You can access it for free - Edited by Chess

Only if you are in the UK - in the US we have to pay a fee.

mbg

Post by mbg » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:28 pm

Chess,
tge link requres a paid registration. Please copy & past here if possible. Thanks.

"The area you wish to access is behind registration.
If you are an existing user of Times Online please enter your Username and Password on the spaces provided below on the right.

If you are new to Times Online please click on the Register Here button below on the left and follow the steps indicated. "

shonolaku
Newly Registered

Post by shonolaku » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:29 pm

chess,
Its still not for free. Lets have the summary please.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:31 pm

shonolaku wrote:chess,
Its still not for free. Lets have the summary please.

February 05, 2005

Points system and higher charges to cut immigration
By Richard Ford, Home Correspondent

CHARLES CLARKE will unveil a package of proposals next week to clamp down on immigration and asylum-seekers, including a new points system and increased charges for migrants.
The Home Secretary will make it tougher for highly skilled migrants to come to Britain by increasing the number of points required to enter the country. :roll:

Mr Clarke will focus the Government’s five-year strategy dealing with the widespread public perception that migrants who are refused permission to stay in the country never leave. The Government was forced to abandon a target to remove 30,000 failed asylum-seekers after it proved too ambitious.

But the Prime Minister has pressed the Home Office for a stronger drive to increase removals so that the number of failed applicants and dependents removed each month is more than unfounded asylum applications. Latest figures show that 17,895 failed asylum applicants and their dependents were sent back in 2003, though in the same year a total of 60,045 applicants and dependents sought asylum.

Mr Clarke has looked at every way that people enter Britain as part of his review of asylum and immigration, including the work-permit system. Ministers may introduce a points system to ensure that those coming in under that system are only those with the exact skills needed in Britain.

The Prime Minister, who has been told by his private pollsters that immigration is one of the top concerns of the public, said: “We need to get to a situation where you are absolutely clear that those people coming in on the work-permit route are actually necessary for our economy.”

The Home Office has resisted quotas for work permits because of fears that setting arbitrary figures would damage Britain’s economy.

Mr Blair said: “I think that it is more a question of making sure that the rules are absolutely adhered to, rather than plucking some arbitrary figure. You might want it to be lower, you might want it to be higher at any particular time, but that depends on there being a job for someone to go to that someone who is here in Britain can’t do.”

Ministers plan to increase the costs for travel permits for students and economic migrants because they benefit from being in Britain.

David Davis, the Shadow Home Secretary, said: “Britain has become a soft touch. Mr Blair’s Government has lost control of the system. He promised Britain would have ‘firm control over immigration’ but it has more than doubled since 1997.”

Scintilla
Newly Registered

Post by Scintilla » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:22 pm

When do you suppose that the changes will actually take effect?

Are the changes to HSMP already a matter of policy, or are they part of the "package of proposals" to be unveiled next week? That was a little bit unclear to me in the article.

Will HO make an announcement before actually implementing the changes? When would the changes take place?

(I am planning to submit my application by March or April, and I am hoping to submit it before the changes take place, so that I will be submitting under the current criteria.) :)

Chess, thank you for sharing the article with us.

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:34 pm

I suppose we'll all find out tomorrow. HSMP is the only immigration scheme that uses the points system currently. I've been scanning the news on this and Clarke gave an interview today that indicated that "We will establish a system ... which looks at the skills, talents and abilities of people seeking to come and work in this country, and ensures that when they come here they have a job and can contribute to the economy of the country."
see this link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4240591.stm
The other thing I've noticed is that in several articles it seems they want to do away with the automatic indefinite leave to remain for all work-permit holders (which I would assume includes HSMP holders).

I would recommend that everyone who is planning to apply get their applications in very soon. However, I feel it is likely that evaluations of outstanding applications that do not meet any new criteria announced on Monday will be disapproved.

desiguy

Post by desiguy » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:41 pm

I agree with Lynn. People shud try and get their applications in asap so they are considered/evaluated per exisiting rules.

Following from HO's guidance doc:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What if the scheme changes?

A: As with any immigration scheme we reserve the right to adapt some of the criteria or documentation associated with the scheme and will inform you via our websites of any such changes. All applications will be treated on the basis of the HSMP provisions at the time that they were submitted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope this helps whoever is considering to apply and also provides some sense of relief to the ones who have already filed.
Cheers
:)

shonolaku
Newly Registered

Post by shonolaku » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:55 pm

Although my application was delievered on 26th Jan (From DHL tracking), I am yet to receive my reference # from HO. I hope HO will not claim that I submitted after the new change as payment (used UK postal) may be delaying the acknowledgement.

simar

Post by simar » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:09 am

Oh my god.. I have submitted my application from india on 2nd feb. It should reach hmsp people by today or tomarrow. And now this new tough point system news. Lets see what is stored for us. Seems east or west canada is the best for immigration. But their too it is long line. I have applied in early 2002 . No news from them too.-(

mbg

Post by mbg » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:24 am

Home office have updated the processing date page today - as of 7th feb they are still on 7th june - are they waiting for the news today concerning the new rules? it is obvious that sth is happening and they are waiting for sth.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:48 am

mbg wrote:Home office have updated the processing date page today - as of 7th feb they are still on 7th june - are they waiting for the news today concerning the new rules? it is obvious that sth is happening and they are waiting for sth.

System melt down :x

HSMP - 8 months delay

FLR- IED - 4 months wait

I wonder what is going on :roll: