ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how long after a divorce do we have to wait to married again

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marty

how long after a divorce do we have to wait to married again

Post by marty » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:47 pm

Hi
i would like to know how long after a divorce i can married again?(for uk citizen )?Do we need to wait a couple of months or we can get married straight just a week or 2 after?

frances2

Post by frances2 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:16 pm

You can get married as soon as you have a decree absolute. No need to wait.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:51 pm

I know of someone who picked up their Decree Absolute on the way to the airport, to fly to Thailand, and got married again just two days later. All totally OK, given that in Thailand, when registering a legal marriage, there is no need to give any prior notice .... you just turn up at the Amphur (Register Office).
John

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:29 pm

John wrote:I know of someone who picked up their Decree Absolute on the way to the airport, to fly to Thailand, and got married again just two days later. All totally OK, given that in Thailand, when registering a legal marriage, there is no need to give any prior notice .... you just turn up at the Amphur (Register Office).
John - did u ever see that Louis Theroux Weird Weekends prog about marriage agencies in Bangkok, some weird guys in that industry....

The Agency owner on his fourth Thai bride, and Lake Palmer (yes - that was his name!) with anger management problems married on day one......

I think I was looking for a replacement gf, I might make my choice based on food this time, Russian not good unless you like cabbage......
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Wanderer, sorry if I gave the impression that he only knew his Thai bride for only a day or two. That was not the case, the couple had known each other for some time, and no agency was involved in their meeting.

But yes, I did see that programme. I think part of the problem stems from the fact that if the couple agree on the divorce, they both go along to the Amphur (Register Office) and register their divorce, in much the same way as they registered their marriage. Yes there is a Court procedure but that only applies where one of the two does not agree to the divorce.
I think I was looking for a replacement gf, I might make my choice based on food this time, Russian not good unless you like cabbage......
I hope you jest! But thanks for the warning about the cabbages! In fact, if ... heaven forbid .... my marriage did end ..... knowing what I do now about visas ... no way would the person be from outside the EEA! But I do like Hungarian Goulash! Very tasty!
John