ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

[Tier-2] Traveling in & out of the UK in between two jobs

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

kjain
Newly Registered

[Tier-2] Traveling in & out of the UK in between two jobs

Post by kjain » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:18 am

Dear all,

I am currently on a tier-2 General visa. I have a job offer with a company that is willing to sponsor my visa. They suggest I start on May 1. I can make sure that I leave my current employer by Mar 31. I am hoping I'll acquire a new visa with me before Mar 31 using the CoS that my new employer provides.

My question is: Can I travel in and outside of the UK between Apr 1 to Apr 30 without risking anything, assuming that I acquire the new visa before commencing my travels, but before starting to work with my new employer?

Thanks much!

poper
Diamond Member
India

Re: [Tier-2] Traveling in & out of the UK in between two job

Post by poper » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:14 pm

kjain wrote:Dear all,

I am currently on a tier-2 General visa. I have a job offer with a company that is willing to sponsor my visa. They suggest I start on May 1. I can make sure that I leave my current employer by Mar 31. I am hoping I'll acquire a new visa with me before Mar 31 using the CoS that my new employer provides.
You cannot work for your old employer till 31st March if your visa switch happens before 31st March. I believe the Cos start date should be later than 31st March.

My question is: Can I travel in and outside of the UK between Apr 1 to Apr 30 without risking anything, assuming that I acquire the new visa before commencing my travels, but before starting to work with my new employer?
As long as you have a valid visa, no problem

Thanks much!
Any suggestions I make in the forum are out my personal experience and should not be taken as a legal/professional advise.

kjain
Newly Registered

Post by kjain » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:04 am

Thanks poper for your response.

Pardon the confusion, but I believe I'll only be resigning once I get my new BRP (as a result of the new visa application), which means I'll have a visa even before I resign from my current job. Hence I should be able to travel as soon as I finish my notice period with my current employer.

To further clarify, I am assuming the following timeline:
1. Feb first week - Apply for the visa using the premium service with the new CoS
2. Feb end - get the new BRP
3. Mar 1 - resign from the current job
4. Mar 31 - finish serving the notice
5. Apr 1 to Apr 30 - travel in and out of the UK
6. May 1 - join new employer

Please help me understand where things can go wrong.

Pavkum
Newly Registered

Post by Pavkum » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:25 pm

Hi,

As far as I'm aware you can work for your old employer until your visa with old employer expires and until start date of new employer but it's safe to work until the end date mentioned in COS rather than in BRP card when you are switching to new employer. I don't think travelling in April when you are on valid visa is an issue. But make sure you are on valid visa before travelling. Happy journey :)

vkshar84
Newly Registered

Post by vkshar84 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:28 pm

@kjain

how did it go with your travel while in between jobs? I am in a similar situation and wanted to learn from your experience.

Travel outside of UK while between jobs (Tier-2 visa)

I am due to start a new job with a new organisation starting 10 July17 and my new employer has sponsored my new BRP (Tier-2) which is already valid starting 31 May17. The certificate of sponsorship mentioned my start date with the organisation as 10 July17.

I am currently in my notice period with my current organisation and my last date with current employer is 07 July17. My stay in the UK was sponsored by current employer under Tier-2 work visa which was valid until 21 Nov19 however, given my BRP with current employer was retained by HRMC as a part of the application for new BRP with new employer, I do not have this old BRP card with me anymore.

While I am still in the notice period with current organisation, I am due to travel outside of the UK (India) to attend a personal matter between 25 Jun17-03 July17.

I am looking to understand that while I am re-entering the UK at the Airport on 03July17, is there going to be an issue with Border Control?

My concern is that I am still employed by the old employer but don’t have the BRP sponsored by them as it is already submitted to HRMC. I will be carrying new BRP sponsored by the new employer; however, I wouldn’t have really started working with them yet.

And if Border Control asks who my employer in UK is; should I mention my current or new employer?

jms
Newly Registered

Post by jms » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi All,

I am in the same boat too. Could you please share your experience on this please ?

Thank you.

raexxja1
Newly Registered
Australia

Re: [Tier-2] Traveling in & out of the UK in between two jobs

Post by raexxja1 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Hello, I too am in the same boat. Could either of you share your experience?

vzus
Newly Registered
India

Post by vzus » Fri Dec 01, 2017 3:59 pm

I am in the same situation, any help much appreciated.

Uniquip
Newly Registered
New Zealand

Post by Uniquip » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:55 pm

Curious about this as well as I will be doing this