ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i marry in Nigeria without being a resident

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

craftynick

Can i marry in Nigeria without being a resident

Post by craftynick » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:15 pm

Hi. I have tried to look for the answer to this but can´t find anything. Basically I am an Irish citizen and I want to marry my Nigerian boyfriend. We both currently live in Spain (yes he is here legally) but the wait here is ages to get married so my question is - if we marry in Nigeria will it be recognised in the EU and can we get wed there if neither of us are residents.

Thanks in advance for your help

sakura
Diamond Member

Re: Can i marry in Nigeria without being a resident

Post by sakura » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:32 pm

craftynick wrote:Hi. I have tried to look for the answer to this but can´t find anything. Basically I am an Irish citizen and I want to marry my Nigerian boyfriend. We both currently live in Spain (yes he is here legally) but the wait here is ages to get married so my question is - if we marry in Nigeria will it be recognised in the EU and can we get wed there if neither of us are residents.

Thanks in advance for your help
I doubt that Nigeria has many restrictions on doing anything there. You can check but I think most people with Nigerian partners just fly over, conduct the ceremony and get their certificates.

As for recognition: There are 'formal' and 'traditional' marriages. Check that the people are qualified and you've registered the marriage properly and legally....I am quite certain there's a website somewhere where you can get the FAQs on this :lol:

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:32 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Re: Can i marry in Nigeria without being a resident

Post by Christophe » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:00 pm

sakura wrote:As for recognition: There are 'formal' and 'traditional' marriages. Check that the people are qualified and you've registered the marriage properly and legally....I am quite certain there's a website somewhere where you can get the FAQs on this :lol:
Yes, a marriage that is legally constituted in Nigeria will be recognised in other countries, provided that the marriage itself is not in direct contravention of the law of the other country. As sakura says, a traditional marriage ceremony that does not meet the requirements of Nigerian law relating to marriage (whatever those requirements may be) may well not be recognised in other countries.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:08 pm

If the marriage certificate is ever lost then getting a copy may be near impossible.

gnajaf1
Newly Registered

Post by gnajaf1 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:45 pm

hi im a uk citizen and got married in nigeria last month, theres nothing easier, your fiance can apply for the licence in nigeria (125 dollars)while u apply for your tourist visa for nigeria here(75 pound). once you get there you go to the registrar one day to swear an oath and the next day you go back to get married. u will need the normal stuff like wedding rings oh and a few quid for the registrar which he springs on you half way thru the ceremony but usually just about 10 gbp per person attending. DO NOT LOSE THE MARRAIGE CERTIFICATE because you may never get a copy.