ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can permanent residence be taken away?

About immigration to Canada, canadian immigration programms.
Skilled worker points calculator | about skilled worker immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lchristmas
Newly Registered

Can permanent residence be taken away?

Post by lchristmas » Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:41 pm

I know this is not entering into the spirit of things. But I am in the process of starting a new life with my canadian girlfriend. She is sponsoring me throught the common law permanent residence visa. However, I have substantial debt in the UK- I want to plan a way of paying it back, the debt was incurred through gambling. It is a terrible addiction and one that I am well on the way to beating, but it obviously incurrs huge debts. Alot of people are telling me I should go bankrupt in the Uk, so that I can give myself a fresh start and truely put my gambling to the past. Even some people at Gamblers Annonymous recommend this action, as the quicker you can move on- the quicker you can recover and stay clean.

Anyway, I know you cannot immigrate to canada if you have been bankrupt. But if you have already got your residency and landed in Canada- what can they do- can they remove your residency?

I know some people will not offer me any sympthay for my situation, I can understand that. But truely I would not wish this disease on my worst enemies. I am trying so hard to beat it, and would do anything I can to get a new life with my amazing girlfirend. If anyone has any knowledge on this matter, I would be so grateful- thankyou for your time.....

Richter

Post by Richter » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:39 pm

I believe that being declared bankrupt in the UK will not prevent you from being sponsored to emigrate to Canada. If your sponsor was bankrupt I think that would be a different matter.

You can be deported if they find you have not been honest in your application (small print).

I hope this all works out for you and wish you the best of luck.

Christophe
Diamond Member

Post by Christophe » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:20 pm

I don't know, but I shouldn't have thought that a bankruptcy declared in the UK after you had become a Canadian permanent residency would have any effect on your Canadian status. What the situation is if you are declared bankrupt before your permanent resident status is granted could be a different matter, although it might not be a problem if you are being sponsored.

Someone might be along here soon who can help much more. I hope so. Meanwhile you could try posting your question on a forum such as BritishExapts.com, which is aimed specifically at British people emigrating from the UK (rather than mainly at people immigrating to the UK). It has a section devoted to Canada, and some people who are knowledgeable about Canadian immigration post there. [I don't think I'm in contravention of the rules here by posting that link, since the site is not a competitor to this one and it is not attached to any immigration service provider: if I am, apologies.]

lchristmas, I wish you all the best in putting your problems behind you and moving on, in whatever way turns out to be possible and best. Take courage, though: it sounds as if you have already taken some of the biggest steps.

lchristmas
Newly Registered

Post by lchristmas » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:39 pm

Thanks for your advice and thoughts. Thankfully I think I may be able to avoid the bankruptcy route after all- so hopefully I will not have to find out. I recieved my form thro requesting my passport, so that has been sent off today. So on that front I am good to go, and yeah I have taken some big steps- im just grateful I was able to realise they were needed, unfortuantly there a lot of people out there who are not so lucky.

Thanks again