ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

spouse visa self - assessment evidence

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

emmyemmy

spouse visa self - assessment evidence

Post by emmyemmy » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Hi , please I need help.I want to apply for my spouse(wife) to come to the UK.I am both employed and self employed .I am using both to meet the financial requirements .my problems are:
For the last financial year not all the money I earn as self employed went to my bank account .but my employment went in.It only started reflecting from November last year.secondly I made an adjustment to my returns , would this affect my application as it reflects on my statement .I do have invoices for my business transaction with the company information.I also have custom and duties charges payment including tax.as my goods are from outside the EU.
Please help me.

Obie
Ireland

Re: spouse visa self - assessment evidence

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:45 am

Well if the combine income from Category F or Category G (Self Employment) and Salaried or non salaried income or savings of 16000, or non employment income aggregates to 18,600, then your wife will be able to qualify.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:56 am

Hi ,thanks for your reply. yes the combined is more than 18,600. my question is.from the early months of 2013 the money from my self employment wasnt going straight to my bank account as i was receiving payment at hand in cash.and also my ex had access to my bank account as we had a joint account,was in the processs of removing her from the account.will this affect me?
secondly i made an error on my returns and had to amen my returns,so my account statement of my return shows that i amended it,that is the sa300, will this affect me? thanks.please help.

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 am

any help? anyone please

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Remember if you are combing cat a or b earnings with self-employment income, these sources can be combined, but only for the period of the relevant financial year(s).
**this forum is not intended to be a substitute for professional advice**
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:48 pm

You are entitled to receive cash in hand provided the money you receive is reflected in your tax return and assessment.

There is no requirement for you to put money in account.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:18 pm

Obie I'm not sure if that's true as:
Appendix FM-SE 7 wrote:(f) Personal bank statements for the same 12-month period as the tax return(s) showing that the income from self-employment has been paid into an account in the name of the person or in the name of the person and their partner jointly.
Click here to send me a PM regarding an offensive post. Do NOT PM me for immigration advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:36 pm

Sorry my mind was focused on the fact that he said the money was not going straight into his account, but was coming to him through cash in hand.

I got into a slightly muddled in the reply.

There is no requirement for customers to pay money directly into his account provided he can indeed show it reflected and that fact is recorded in his tax return.

I accept their is a requirement to show that this money has been received. It can be paid into any financial regulatory body account.

Amber
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Amber » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:39 pm

By reading the OP it would appear the money went into no account which would be the issue.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

He Stated that from 2013, the money was not going straight into his account, but was coming in as cash in hand.

This gave the impression the money was going from his hand to an account but not directly.

It may be the case that i misread his post, but that was my understanding.

Surely with lots of fraud going on, one would expect that evidence is provided that funds was received, but for certain business like market stall, one cannot expect a customer to pay directly into an account.

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:35 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.
It seems my question is being misunderstood.
Please let me simplify my question by giving more details.
I am self-employed and work as well.both income exceed the 18,600 requirement.
i did not put or rather wasn't putting my self-employment money into my bank account,so this does not reflect until November last ear for that financial year. the reason i didn't put the money in the account is because my ex-wife at that time still has access to my account as we had a joint account.so i couldn't or wouldn't be able to prove it was mine,as she could also use the money. she was giving me serious difficulty in signing the form to remove her name from the account. so up till November of the last financial year,the account was still in both our names.
I do have invoices and record that i was self-employed.i am a web-designer,i also sell mobile phones and tablet from china.i do have dhl prove that i import these items and prove that my website was in business throughout last financial year,as i sell domain names and hosting services.
my first question was, would it affect me that i didn't put the money into my account?seeing that i was preventing my ex from using the money.
secondly,i filled my tax return wrongly ,but then amended it,would this be a problem? thanks.
any help would do.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:04 pm

The option was open to you to open a separate account. UKBA expect to see genuine economic activity, like money coming into your account and not simply an invoice.

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:40 pm

obie thanks.
i had a poor credit rating at that time so couldn't open a new account.secondly the only period i didn't put money in the account was just april to october. from november to april 2013 customers were paying into my account and cash was going in. but my payment from my company was going into the account throughout the year.

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:43 pm

ali also have few payment through paypal within this period of april-october.as payment from my website design was being taken through paypal.this i can show ,as most customers pay through recurring payments.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Well at least you know what appendix FM-SE requires.

What is the state of you employment earning?

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi obi thanks.
the total amount that went into my bank account for the last financial year both from my employment and self-employment is 15,212.64.
employment was 12,136.67 after tax.
self-employment was 3,075.97 making it 15,212.64. this amount and payment reflets on my bank statement. but the other cash i receive i didnt put everything inside otherwise it would exceed that amount. but this is all after tax not before tax.before tax the entire amount is above 18,600.
did i have to show all the 18,600 went through my bank account? and the fact that for the period of april to october only few amount was reflected from my self employment ,will it be an issue? my employment was fully paid into the account.
thanks.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm

You have to show gross not net earning

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:30 am

thanks a lot guys for your reply.
please i want to ask some more question.

1. i did have most of my client paying me through PAYPAL ,for one of the financial year. the problem is Paypal doesn't issue you with a statement.i contacted them they said they won't that i can do the print out myself and print out the email that was sent to me when i received the payments. Would this be accepted?

2. I leave in a 4 bed room house ,one living room ,Spam toilet and bathroom.i rented one of the rooms from two friends who also live in the house. one of the medium room is free they had no intention of letting it out. its been free for the past two years.gas and electricity bill is in my name,i have phone bills and bank statements in that address for almost two years.
my question is ,seeing that they also rented the apartment from the landlord and then sub let to me,would this be an acceptable or suitable accommodation for me and my wife?
they are willing to write a letter for me stating that they are happy for my wife to join us and would also let me have the space of the other medium room.
3. if it is suitable can i use a letting agent to confirm this by accessing the house and writing a report for me describing the house in details.? thanks for your replies.

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:19 am

any replies please

emmyemmy

Post by emmyemmy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:40 pm

obie ,moderators any help please?

samira_uk
BANNED

Post by samira_uk » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:13 am

I know this is an old thread but given the following paragraph, is it possible for a self-employed to use tax returns and financial accounts to reflect the income?

Self-employed income can be cash-in-hand if the correct tax is paid. In line with paragraph 3.1.5 of this guidance, it would generally be expected that the person’s business or personal bank statements would fully reflect all gross (pre-tax) cash income. Flexibility may only be applied where the decision-maker is satisfied that the cash income relied upon is fully evidenced by the relevant tax return(s) and the accounts information.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am

samira_uk wrote:I know this is an old thread but given the following paragraph, is it possible for a self-employed to use tax returns and financial accounts to reflect the income?

Self-employed income can be cash-in-hand if the correct tax is paid. In line with paragraph 3.1.5 of this guidance, it would generally be expected that the person’s business or personal bank statements would fully reflect all gross (pre-tax) cash income. Flexibility may only be applied where the decision-maker is satisfied that the cash income relied upon is fully evidenced by the relevant tax return(s) and the accounts information.
Please refrain from digging up old threads. It clutters the current threads in the forum. Kindly continue in your existing topic if you have one.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.