ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying for a British passport 2017

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Londontown
Newly Registered

Applying for a British passport 2017

Post by Londontown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi All,

I have a residence card of a family member of a union citizen. I have it for one year and want to apply for British passport. What do I need? People told me things have changed. I am a native English speaker. Do I need to do life in the UK test? What else do I need besides this? Proof of employment?

Also, how much does it cost?

Many thanks!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Applying for a British passport 2017

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:22 pm

Do you mean a 'Permanent Residence Card'?

If yes, what country are you from? Not all country, even some which are English, are exempt from the English requirement.

Yes, you must do LIUK.

Read the AN form and guidance notes.

Current fee is £1236 and the fees go up in March/April every year.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:24 pm

Its not possible to apply for a passport until you are British.

Naturalise first;
then, if successful, sort out passport.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks CR001,

I'm from S. Africa and yes, it's a perm residence card. I will read the guidelines. I better apply before March then :D Really expensive!

Thanks, noajthan. Silly question, but is naturalisation doing the LIUK test? I will go and read the guidelines, anyway :D

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:35 pm

Londontown wrote:Thanks CR001,

I'm from S. Africa and yes, it's a perm residence card. I will read the guidelines. I better apply before March then :D Really expensive!

Thanks, noajthan. Silly question, but is naturalisation doing the LIUK test? I will go and read the guidelines, anyway :D
No, naturalising is proving:
  • you are settled;
    English capability (if required);
    LITUK;
    sound mind;
    have references;
    absences within limits;
    physically present in UK 5(/3) years before application;
    resident in UK 5 (/3) years;
    good character;
& etc etc
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:44 pm

noajthan wrote:
Londontown wrote:Thanks CR001,

No, naturalising is proving:
  • you are settled;
    English capability (if required);
    LITUK;
    sound mind;
    have references;
    absences within limits;
    physically present in UK 5(/3) years before application;
    resident in UK 5 (/3) years;
    good character;
& etc etc
Cheers, my wife always did the applications for me so I need to do my homework this time :)

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:51 pm

As a South African, you must do the B1 English test from an HO approved test provider. You are not exempt from the requirement.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:01 pm

CR001 wrote:As a South African, you must do the B1 English test from an HO approved test provider. You are not exempt from the requirement.
Sure, I was just reading through the list of countries exempt....I have a CELTA certificate from a few years ago (for teaching English). I wonder if they will accept this. I passed the B2 English test about 3 yrs ago for a job. Maybe they will still have a record of that.

Also, do you think I should buy a book for the LIUK test? I heard the questions change every year.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Londontown wrote:
CR001 wrote:As a South African, you must do the B1 English test from an HO approved test provider. You are not exempt from the requirement.
Sure, I was just reading through the list of countries exempt....I have a CELTA certificate from a few years ago (for teaching English). I wonder if they will accept this. I passed the B2 English test about 3 yrs ago for a job. Maybe they will still have a record of that.

Also, do you think I should buy a book for the LIUK test? I heard the questions change every year.
You must have a B1 SELT English test that is on the HO approved list. Anything else, unless you have a UK degree, will result in a refusal. It is a non negotiable point and as you have not previously had to provide proof of English for a UK Immigration application, it is even more important that you do the correct one.

You should buy the book. The questions/book DO NOT change every year. It is multiple choice test anyway so the person sitting the test next to you will have a different set of generated questions to what you have.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

Londontown
Newly Registered

Post by Londontown » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:15 pm

CR001 wrote:
Londontown wrote:

You must have a B1 SELT English test that is on the HO approved list. Anything else, unless you have a UK degree, will result in a refusal. It is a non negotiable point and as you have not previously had to provide proof of English for a UK Immigration application, it is even more important that you do the correct one.

You should buy the book. The questions/book DO NOT change every year. It is multiple choice test anyway so the person sitting the test next to you will have a different set of generated questions to what you have.
Thank you. That's very helpful. I will make sure everything is perfect :)