ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

AN application, obtaining a residence certificate beforehand

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nordize
Newly Registered

AN application, obtaining a residence certificate beforehand

Post by nordize » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:19 am

Dear all,

Apologies if this has been asked before (couldn't find a clear answer). I'm an EEA national who has spent the last 5 years under lawful employment int he UK. I could wait another 11-12 months and apply under the 5 years EEA route. However the AN guide says:
You should apply for a permanent residence card to prove that you hold that status before applying for citizenship.
Normally "should" doesn't mean "must", but this sounds a little suspicious. My question is: if it's not a requirement, how much does one risk (to the best of existing statistical knowledge) being rejected if they don't obtain a permanent residence card before applying for naturalization?

I looked at both the AN and the EEA_PR forms and the AN form actually asks for less proof and documentation than the EEA_PR one regarding the 5 years, so simple logic would say that going for AN directly without a PR card is more risky.

Any evidence to sustain or refute the above argument?

Any other thoughts will be much appreciated.

nordize
Newly Registered

Re: AN application, obtaining a residence certificate before

Post by nordize » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:47 am

Just to add that I'm aware of this spreadsheet of timelines and outcomes, but it doesn't say if a PR card was obtained prior to the AN application (unless "IRL=Indefinite Leave to Remain" in column M implies that a PR card was obtained before applying for citizenship).

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:48 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

nordize
Newly Registered

Post by nordize » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:11 am

vinny wrote:Must.
Well, that settles it. It also cleared the confusion about waiting 12 months after obtaining the PR card (which is not necessary).

Thanks very much.

nordize
Newly Registered

which documents for citizenship? (for EEA with PR Card)

Post by nordize » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:02 pm

I've read the FAQ, it's still not 100% clear to me whether I need to show:
- proof of exercising EEA treaty rights for the 5 years (P60s, letters from employers, etc)
- proof of address in the UK for the 5 years of exercising EEA treaty rights (utility bills etc)

The AN guide doesn't mention them but asks for the same information as the PR application did (for which they were required), and I was told that I'd be wise not to apply common sense when it comes to the HO ...

Many thanks in advance

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:23 pm

Posts merged.

AN is not a rerun of confirmation of PR.

Read the AN guidance.

You have to prove:
  • id;
    settled status/possession of confirmation of PR;
    residence in UK 5 (/3) years;
    absences within limits (different rules from EU rules);
    physically present in UK 5 (/3) years before date of application;
Also meet requirements for:
  • sound mind;
    good character;
    referees;
    LITUK;
    English;
& etc
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

nordize
Newly Registered

Post by nordize » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 am

I was only interested in whether proof of address and proof of emplyment is required (in the title of the post I made, which was merged, I specified I already obtained a PR card ... not sure why the posts were merged). I read the AN guide once again:
- it doesn't require proof of address (only a list of current and past addresses), page 6
- it does require proof of employment, page 8 (not sure how I missed this the first time)

Is it truwe that proof of address isn't required? Any EEA nationals here who got their BC recently without such proof?

p.s. not sure why the posts were merged, my question today was specific to the above two issues

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 am

nordize wrote:I was only interested in whether proof of address and proof of emplyment is required (in the title of the post I made, which was merged, I specified I already obtained a PR card ... not sure why the posts were merged). I read the AN guide once again:
- it doesn't require proof of address (only a list of current and past addresses), page 6
- it does require proof of employment, page 8 (not sure how I missed this the first time)

Is it truwe that proof of address isn't required? Any EEA nationals here who got their BC recently without such proof?

p.s. not sure why the posts were merged, my question today was specific to the above two issues
Read Board T&Cs to understand why posts have been merged. Remember the Board T&Cs you read on registering.
You may have a question on each question in the AN form. Do not generate hundreds of topic questions on such matters.
You only have one case - so use one topic. This one.
Choose the topic title appropriately.

HO caseworker will ofcourse be interested to see whether you meet all requirements.

Employment (and thus proof of employment is not a requirement for naturalising.
Proof you have met any/all tax/NI obligations is required - as a part of the wide-ranging good character test.

'Proof of address' is not required.

As well as proof of freedom from immigration time restrictions, proof of residence in UK is required.
Including by implication proof of absences.
And proof of physical presence x years ago is a mandatory test.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.