ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Apostrophe - disallowed character?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

affllama
Newly Registered

Slightly wrong surname on biometric enrolment letter

Post by affllama » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Dear all,

I have received a biometric enrolment letter, but I've noticed that part of my surname has been written not precisely, such as it could be treated as a middle name.

I give you an example: instead of being D'Elia (with an apostrophe) they have written both D Elia or D. Elia (as if "D" was a middle name, which is not, as it is full part of the surname).

The employee at the Royal Mail office has told me that I have the option to apply anyway, but that could be risky as they could ask for taking the biometrics again or even losing my application money.

I have enquired the Home Office on the Biometrics email address, but I've read on this forum stories of people that had to wait several weeks or had even to involve their MP to get things sorted.

Do you have any advice on what should I do?

Thank you a lot!

affllama
Newly Registered

Apostrophe - disallowed character?

Post by affllama » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:24 pm

Dear all, I am posting again, as my previous post ended up for some reasons in the wrong section of the forum.

I have received a biometric enrolment letter, but I've noticed that part of my surname has been written not precisely.

I give you an example: instead of being D'Elia (with an apostrophe) they have written both D Elia or D. Elia (as if "D" was a middle name, which is not, as it is full part of the surname).

The employee at the Royal Mail office has told me that I have the option to apply anyway, but that could be risky as they could ask for taking the biometrics again or even losing my application money.

I have enquired the Home Office on the Biometrics email address, but I've read on this forum stories of people that had to wait several weeks or had even to involve their MP to get things sorted.

Is it possible that the Home Office did not actually make a mistake, but that they simply disregarded the apostrophe as it is a disallowed character? (see this post for reference https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... o?unfold=1)

Indeed, during our correspondence, the HO refers to me as "Mr D Elia", meaning that they do not consider "D" to be a middle name. Also, all the rest of the documentation (English test, Life in the UK test, payslips, letters from employers, etc.) report the correct spelling.

Thank you a lot for any advice