ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Directive 2004/38/EC - Article 7

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

EEA PR after marring a British Citizen?

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am

Hello,

How long does it take for a EEA Citizen to acquire PR after marrying a British Citizen?
He is a Portuguese Citizen and I am a British Citizen and we have both been together for almost 5 years since October 2012. So I was wondering about the rules about marriage and PR between both EEA Citizens and British Citizens... I heard that after three years my spouse could apply for PR instead of waiting for five years. Is that correct?

Thank you,

Trevor

MrSlyFox

Re: EEA PR after marring a British Citizen?

Post by MrSlyFox » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:24 pm

I think you are getting the period for naturalization with a British spouse and the time period for acquiring PR confused. People already settled with British Spouse (i.e. with PR for example) can naturalize after just three years residence instead of five. There is no such time reduction for acquiring PR with a British Spouse however.

There are some cases where you can acquire PR earlier than five years:
https://www.gov.uk/eea-registration-cer ... ence-early

Such as Permanent incapacity or retiring after working

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: EEA PR after marring a British Citizen?

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:39 pm

Thanks MrSlyFox

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Absence from the UK - Jobseeker again upon return?

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Hello,

My partner worked for three months then was voluntary unemployed for three months and left the UK for four months. He never registered as a jobseeker when he first arrived in the UK because he was self-Sufficient.

European Economic Area nationals: qualified persons states the following on page 10
"An EEA national who has not entered the UK as a jobseeker but who is already
resident in the UK and becomes a jobseeker immediately after enjoying a right to
reside in another capacity (for example a student who ends their course of study and
looks for work) will have a right of residence as a jobseeker for 91 days (3 months.)
This is providing they are actively seeking work and have a genuine chance of being
engaged."

Could it mean that my partner could register this time as a jobseeker to re-enter the job market from receiving assistance from the JobCentre Plus to find a job instead of being again a Self-Sufficient person even if being a jobseeker lasts for three months? After all if he is entitled to be registered as a jobseeker and gained three months as a qualified person for being a jobseeker why not doing it if it is allowed?

The issue could be that he returns from abroad after four months even though he has been living in the UK for 1.5 years as a self sufficient person and as a worker for short period of times.

Absences from the UK
An absence of less than 6 months, or for up to 12 months for an important reason, will not break continuity of residence for the purposes of acquiring a right of permanent residence. Therefore the period does not restart when that person reenters the UK.

Thanks, Trevor

noajthan

Re: Directive 2004/38/EC - Article 7

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Posts merged.
No need for multiple posts.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Sorry noajthan, I don't understand what you meant

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:28 pm

tmonaghan wrote:Sorry noajthan, I don't understand what you meant
Kindly keep all your questions on your case in this topic - which is all about you/your background/your case.
Instead of posting a new topic for every question.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.