ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dependant visa enquiry. many thanks.

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Skingland
Newly Registered

dependant visa enquiry. many thanks.

Post by Skingland » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:04 pm

hi just want to make an enquiry.

my husband wants to call his parents frm pakistan. they have visited here twice and left in time of their visa's expiring. my husband is here on a spouse visa (since july 2007).
he works and pays all the bills/mortgage. he earns just enough to cover our expenses. i don't work. we live in a two bedroomed flat. anyway his father is retired he worked for the army in pakistan and is 68 years old, his mother is 60. they own their own home and my father inlaw is on a pension. they have a daughter that lives five minutes away from them. my husband send his parents money on the rare occasion, but they are not financially dependent on him. my father-in-laws health isn't too great. my husbands brother is also here on a work permit. his sister is also here, she came on a visitors visa then seeked asylum here.. she was granted british citizenship.

Now basically they want to come here to be with their sons, obviously they want to take advantage of the nhs and benefits, however looking at the criteria they don't really seem to meet it. however knowing my husband and his family, i know they are willing to lie, i mean that's how his sister got her citizenship. their son in law in pakistan is a lawyer so he'll tell them which route to take. I am 4 months pregnant and by the time it comes to my husbands ilr my child will be about one and a half, obviously they won't be able to come and live with us because our place is too small... or can they get away with lying? his sister has a three bedroomed flat, it's her and her three daughter all under the age of ten, and their brother, but he is registered as living at another address, could they apply from her? she is on benefits? can you sponsor people on benefits?

thanks.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:08 pm

People on work permits cannot sponsor their parents, until they have settled status (ILR or British citizenship).

If only the daughter has settled status, she is the only one that can sponsor them....as she is on benefits I highly doubt she is able to look after anyone else let alone herself without support. She doesn't support them in any way (i.e her benefits probably don't go as far as Pakistan) so cannot prove the 'dependency' criteria. Plus I think her accommodation would be considered 'overcrowded'.

All in all, I don't think they can do anything now, and not for another 1 or 2 years...