ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse salary and investment

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

inaam.cs

Spouse salary and investment

Post by inaam.cs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi,
I'm applying for T1 Ent extension. My spouse is also my employee she works as part time. Has her salary got any impact on my 50K investment?
Thanks

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Spouse salary and investment

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:23 pm

inaam.cs wrote:Hi,
I'm applying for T1 Ent extension. My spouse is also my employee she works as part time. Has her salary got any impact on my 50K investment?
Thanks
Better not pay her salary from your investment or this could be viewed as recycling cash
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

inaam.cs

Post by inaam.cs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:07 pm

zimba88 wrote:
Thanks
Better not pay her salary from your investment or this could be viewed as recycling cash
Thanks for your reply, its actually point of no return for me. I am applying the visa next week and I only came to know that this is a gray area which should have been avoided.
What my understanding was that she is working for my company and she is getting paid by my company.
So, am I OK to take the risk or is there any way out for my situation?
Regards

tier1in2014
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by tier1in2014 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:21 pm

inaam.cs wrote:
zimba88 wrote:
Thanks
Thanks for your reply, its actually point of no return for me. I am applying the visa next week and I only came to know that this is a gray area which should have been avoided.
What my understanding was that she is working for my company and she is getting paid by my company.
So, am I OK to take the risk or is there any way out for my situation?
Regards

If you have not made your management accounts and going with directors loan option you can make another investment for the amount she got paid in form of directors loan and make sure to get this on your latest accounts to be safe .
I am not perfect But I guess no one is ever perfect . We all make mistakes and learn from them. Never give up keep trying until you succeed.

Jazz2007
Member of Standing

Post by Jazz2007 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks
If her Salary is a part of your required 50K investment then you have to put it back before applying and update management accounts.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:58 pm

Your wife can work for you and paying her from revenues is fine. However getting her paid from your investments is questionable
Advice is given based on my personal research and experience only. Do NOT contact me via private message for immigration advice

inaam.cs

Post by inaam.cs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:29 pm

zimba88 wrote:Your wife can work for you and paying her from revenues is fine. However getting her paid from your investments is questionable
Thanks for your explanation, so by revenue you mean the income or profit? Because the year (3rd year) she worked for me as part timer, the company income (sales) was almost 60K and during the same year I invested 50K from my own personal bank account.

So, have I paid her from revenue or from investment?
Regards

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Revenue means income of the company.

ishfaqsangra
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ishfaqsangra » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:06 pm

If she has genuinly worked for the company and is qualified enough or has relevant experiance I dont think ,it could be a significant issue,if there is any concern,they may interview and question her credibilit.
My wife has worked in my relevant field while I was studying and then later on I joined the same field and she has assisted my companysince beginning,although she left since April16,I am not worried about this at all.
There are many other factors which will contribute in decision.

businessmen aces
India

Post by businessmen aces » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:10 am

According to the rules its very clear that you can only spend your investment on paying salary to settled workers and not to family members or those on tier 1 visa. If you are paying your wife from profits of the company and company assets are more than you invested than its fine you don't even have to inform home office about it as you can only claim points for employment for settled workers and not others.

inaam.cs

Post by inaam.cs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:18 am

businessmen aces wrote:According to the rules its very clear that you can only spend your investment on paying salary to settled workers and not to family members or those on tier 1 visa. If you are paying your wife from profits of the company and company assets are more than you invested than its fine you don't even have to inform home office about it as you can only claim points for employment for settled workers and not others.
Thanks for your reply. I'm only claiming points from my settled worker. OK here is my precise situation.
All investment of 50K made in third year and company also had sales of 60K in the same year. My wife also worked the same year. At the end of year, company in loss but the cash in company's bank account is 30K. So can I say that wages for my wife are paid from revenue and not from Investment?

ishfaqsangra
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ishfaqsangra » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:49 am

If someone has genuinely worked for the Company, there should not be any issue as per my understanding,(Please note unrealistic withdrawals without proper revenues could be a potential issue )Just keep it simple and you do not need to particularly mention or explain why you employed your spouse.

inaam.cs

Post by inaam.cs » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:19 am

Thanks Ishfaqsangra

tier1in2014
Member of Standing
Mood:
India

Post by tier1in2014 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:17 pm

businessmen aces wrote:According to the rules its very clear that you can only spend your investment on paying salary to settled workers and not to family members or those on tier 1 visa. If you are paying your wife from profits of the company and company assets are more than you invested than its fine you don't even have to inform home office about it as you can only claim points for employment for settled workers and not others.

Hi please if you can tell us where it says that "you can only spend your investment on paying salary to settled workers and not to family members or those on tier 1 visa" as per my understanding any directors salary will not be counted towards investment . We have paid to one of our EU dependent employee which we cant claim any Job creation points but for investment I am not sure .
I am not perfect But I guess no one is ever perfect . We all make mistakes and learn from them. Never give up keep trying until you succeed.

ishfaqsangra
- thin ice -
Pakistan

Post by ishfaqsangra » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Anything other than director will count towards investment, as long as it is legitimate and not one of those clearly mentioned in guidelines like buying business or personal accommodation etc.

zimba
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by zimba » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:52 pm

kapoorinusa wrote:Hi please if you can tell us where it says that "you can only spend your investment on paying salary to settled workers and not to family members or those on tier 1 visa" as per my understanding any directors salary will not be counted towards investment . We have paid to one of our EU dependent employee which we cant claim any Job creation points but for investment I am not sure .
Please understand that no one is arguing that, you can hire anyone as long as it is legal and pay them salary.
However investing in a business and then getting it back via your dependants is questionable. If you are primarily doing that in your business, it is not technically investment but circulation of cash via business to give the impression of a genuine investment. You might face questioning from HO if you do this