ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

No ILR For Some Work Permits!!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sywahu

No ILR For Some Work Permits!!

Post by sywahu » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:07 pm

Hi,

Just read the following on the Guardian web site site:

"Charles Clarke, the Home Secretary, will announce tomorrow that in future only 'desirable' employees, such as doctors and teachers, would be granted the right to settle permanently - and even then only if they passed English tests - while others would be forced to leave when their work permits expired".

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/homeaffa ... 35,00.html

Wonder whether IT professionals belong to the "desirables" or "rejectables" category.....

UK Resident
Newly Registered

Post by UK Resident » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:07 pm

No disrespect meant, but I think it is unfair to bring restrictions on getting ILR by "clean" immigration record holding work permit/HSMP holders, just because a percentage of the immigrants are illegal and are exploting the system.

With this kind of attitude, i won't be surprised that one day even current ILR holders will simply be stripped off their ILR status and asked to get out of the country just because there were some illegal immigrants out there exploiting the system.

These kinds of news really hurt people (like me) who have been economically benefitting the country for several years (more than 5 years in my case) and not seeking a penny of benefit from the government too till date.

I mean, by all means control illegal immigration and illegal stayers or even those who are legal but trying to abuse the benefits system.
But as a mature country and public, one should never generalise on all immigrants.

They should go case by case. They should consider the "clean" status of one's immigration history, their contributions through the NI payments system and what the immigrant has taken out of it.
Frankly, in my case, I have paid loads of money into the NI and Tax system(I am not saying i did a great thing by paying my taxes/NI, it was my duty any way!).
How much I have taken out? Effectively Zero.
Why should I? The country has given me a chance to prove my skills and I am shining in my consultancy services and doing great financially and personally for the past 5+ years (especially even more after I have got my ILR). There was never and will never be a reason for me to ask any support from the UK benefits system - Ever!

I was all about to proudly apply for my british citizenship in few weeks from now...(even got my application signed off by my referees that i just remembered and got hold of from my aquaintance from the year 2000, well actually John (from this forum) reminded me indirectly of them really- thanks John ;-), they were so happy to sign it for me actually)... but now considering the kind of "wiered" attitude of the govt. (as is in the news) towards economic immigrants in general, I have decided to retain my home country citizenship and just continue my professional work here in the UK for couple of more years on my ILR status and just return back to my country.

Thanks for breaking this news though... :D :D

regards.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:18 pm

are these rules gonna kick in this year?

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:25 pm

I am following it closely but it does look it so far. Guardian is sayin "measure are to be introduced" so there is no date yet.

I wouldn't be suprized if it happens tomorrow to bo honest.

Election is jsut roung the corner and something drastic will be done it seems.

Sound a tad bit unfair on work permits since we definitely are not "burden on the society". But they argue that we are putting pressure on the public services!!! Great stuff.