ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application for Tier 2 (General) renewal with same employer

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TF1
Newly Registered

Application for Tier 2 (General) renewal with same employer

Post by TF1 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:19 pm

Hi,

My 3-year Tier 2 (General) visa, and my family's Tier 2 (PBS dependent) visa, would expire in the middle of May 2017. I am looking to continue with the same employer and therefore will be renewing the visa for myself and family. In this regard, I have the following questions:

1. To remain eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in two years time, do I need to apply for the Tier 2 renewal such that there is no visa gap. That is, I should apply in good time such that the visa is renewed before the current one has expired (middle of May 2017)?

2. Would it be better to renew the Tier 2 visa for another 3 years (as opposed to 2) just so that we have some extra months to ensure that ILR requirement period is completely satisfied. Or could we simply renew for 2 years and then apply for ILR as soon as 5 years and 14 days have passed on Tier 2.

3. If I decide to change my job later (and therefore make a new Tier 2 application), would my family also need to reapply even if they have time left on their Tier 2 PBS depenent visa?

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes,
TF

ronychy2010
Mood:
Maldives

Re: Application for Tier 2 (General) renewal with same emplo

Post by ronychy2010 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:59 pm

Hi,
im not expert on this but this is my opinion. Other gurus may also give your replies

1. To remain eligible for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) in two years time, do I need to apply for the Tier 2 renewal such that there is no visa gap. That is, I should apply in good time such that the visa is renewed before the current one has expired (middle of May 2017)?

you are safe to apply even 1 day before of the current expiry date. If you get visa after your current leave expires you won't have any problem as long as you applied before your current leave expired.

2. Would it be better to renew the Tier 2 visa for another 3 years (as opposed to 2) just so that we have some extra months to ensure that ILR requirement period is completely satisfied. Or could we simply renew for 2 years and then apply for ILR as soon as 5 years and 14 days have passed on Tier 2.

you can extend for another 3 years (maximum total 6 years). applying for 3 years i think is the safer to have extra time before ILR. And VISA fees is same for 2 years and 3 years. Only health charge will increase per head 200 GBP

3. If I decide to change my job later (and therefore make a new Tier 2 application), would my family also need to reapply even if they have time left on their Tier 2 PBS depenent visa?

yes, if you change employer then they have to obtain new dependent visa

thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:04 pm

ronychy2010 wrote:3. If I decide to change my job later (and therefore make a new Tier 2 application), would my family also need to reapply even if they have time left on their Tier 2 PBS depenent visa?

yes, if you change employer then they have to obtain new dependent visa
No they don't.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

TF1
Newly Registered

Post by TF1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Thank you very much for your replies CR001 and ronychy210!

Its good to know that Tier 2 visa renewal can be applied even a day before the expiry without affecting the 5-year period for ILR. Is there any UKBA documentation around this subject as well?

Best wishes!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:27 pm

It is UKVI now and not UKBA (since 2013).

The requirement is that you MUST submit an application, either by post or in person, on or before your current visa expires.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.