ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Form MN1 Section 1(3) or Guide S3 (stateless) Please advise

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

bdoli
Newly Registered

Form MN1 Section 1(3) or Guide S3 (stateless) Please advise

Post by bdoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:01 am

Good morning everyone

Previously I was advised to get PR as an EEA national exercising treaty rights & then apply for daughter's British citizenship with form MN1.

Got PR dated May'16. Daughter born in UK on March'11 & we didn't apply for any nationality for her since birth till date. Myself Polish & husband Indian (he has applied for PR too)

Based on above, do we need to fill in MN1 section 1(3) or
Guide S3 (Stateless person)

Also, do we need letter/proof from Polish & Indian embassy stating that child has not acquired nationality of her parents. (Apparently Polish Embassy doesn't provide such letters)

Please advise
Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Form MN1 Section 1(3) or Guide S3 (stateless) Please adv

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:22 am

bdoli wrote:Good morning everyone

Previously I was advised to get PR as an EEA national exercising treaty rights & then apply for daughter's British citizenship with form MN1.

Got PR dated May'16. Daughter born in UK on March'11 & we didn't apply for any nationality for her since birth till date. Myself Polish & husband Indian (he has applied for PR too)

Based on above, do we need to fill in MN1 section 1(3) or 1(3), child is NOT stateless.

Also, do we need letter/proof from Polish & Indian embassy stating that child has not acquired nationality of her parents. (Apparently Polish Embassy doesn't provide such letters) No you don't. Child is not stateless.

Please advise
Thank you
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bdoli
Newly Registered

Post by bdoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:57 am

CR001 wrote:
bdoli wrote:Good morning everyone

Based on above, do we need to fill in MN1 section 1(3) or 1(3), child is NOT stateless.

Also, do we need letter/proof from Polish & Indian embassy stating that child has not acquired nationality of her parents. (Apparently Polish Embassy doesn't provide such letters) No you don't. Child is not stateless.

Please advise
Thank you
Thanks CR001
There is a section in MN1 asking for child's nationality. Do we leave it blank?

Is there any reliable source to define statelessness. Acc. to google, "statelessness is the lack of citizenship"
Child was born in UK and neither parents had PR/ILR at that time. We weren't married either :(

Biggest concern is that they dont refuse the application and keep the £800+ fees too.

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:48 am

Child is definitely a Polish citizen (Article 14(1) of the Polish Citizenship Law of 2009).
Polish Nationality Law (on Wikipedia) wrote:Children born to at least one Polish parent acquire Polish citizenship irrespective of place of birth.
So, the child is not stateless, but a Polish citizen.

Lack of passport does not mean that the child is stateless. Statelessness is a condition caused by act of law (of country of nationalities of parents and of the country of birth), not by parents refusing to or neglecting to apply for a passport.

List the child's citizenship as Polish.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

bdoli
Newly Registered

Post by bdoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:15 pm

secret.simon wrote:Child is definitely a Polish citizen (Article 14(1) of the Polish Citizenship Law of 2009).
Polish Nationality Law (on Wikipedia) wrote:Children born to at least one Polish parent acquire Polish citizenship irrespective of place of birth.
So, the child is not stateless, but a Polish citizen.

Lack of passport does not mean that the child is stateless. Statelessness is a condition caused by act of law (of country of nationalities of parents and of the country of birth), not by parents refusing to or neglecting to apply for a passport.

List the child's citizenship as Polish.
Thank you secret.simon. One more question & hopefully the last one. Slightly confused if we need to fill in section 3 or not.

SECTION 3: PARENTS’ RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM OR THE BRITISH OVERSEAS TERRITORIES
If the application is for a child born abroad, to parents who are British citizens by descent under section 3(2) or 3(5) you must complete this section, otherwise go straight to Section 4: Good Character.
Since we're not applying under 3(2) or 3(5), do we skip Section 3 entirely or do we need to fill below part?

Reading further in the same Section/Guidance:
3.13 – 3.14 If the child was born in the United Kingdom and one of the parents was an EEA national or Swiss national, this information is needed to establish whether the child may be a British citizen already or has a right to registration under section 1(3).
Do they need above info since I already have PR dated May'16

Thanks again

ouflak1

Post by ouflak1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Child was born in the UK, so Sections 3(1) through 3(5) do not apply to your child at all.

bruteforce
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by bruteforce » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:47 pm

ouflak1 wrote:Child was born in the UK, so Sections 3(1) through 3(5) do not apply to your child at all.
Its 1(3), not 3(1) as stated above.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:55 pm

bruteforce wrote:
ouflak1 wrote:Child was born in the UK, so Sections 3(1) through 3(5) do not apply to your child at all.
Its 1(3), not 3(1) as stated above.
Outflak1 was referring to 3(1) NOT applying to OPs situation described.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

bdoli
Newly Registered

Post by bdoli » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks guys.
Section 3 is part of MN1 as stated earlier. I doubt it relates to 3(1) or 1(3)

SECTION 3: PARENTS’ RESIDENCE IN THE UNITED KINGDOM OR THE BRITISH OVERSEAS TERRITORIES
If the application is for a child born abroad, to parents who are British citizens by descent under section 3(2) or 3(5) you must complete this section, otherwise go straight to Section 4: Good Character.
Since we're not applying under 3(2) or 3(5), do we skip Section 3 of the form entirely or do we need to fill below part?

Reading further in the same Section/Guidance, below is part of Section 3 form MN1:
3.13 – 3.14 If the child was born in the United Kingdom and one of the parents was an EEA national or Swiss national, this information is needed to establish whether the child may be a British citizen already or has a right to registration under section 1(3).
Do they need above info relating to section 1(3) since I already have PR dated May'16

Thanks

bdoli
Newly Registered

Post by bdoli » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:22 am

Hello everyone. Any thoughts on my above post

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:24 am

Reading further in the same Section/Guidance, below is part of Section 3 form MN1:
Do they need above info relating to section 1(3) since I already have PR dated May'16
You need to complete this part of section 3 as it is applicable to you if you are EU citizen.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

bdoli
Newly Registered

Post by bdoli » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:36 am

CR001 wrote:
You need to complete this part of section 3 as it is applicable to you if you are EU citizen.
Thanks CR001.
I was confused because of below:
If the application is for a child born abroad, to parents who are British citizens by descent under section 3(2) or 3(5) you must complete this section, otherwise go straight to Section 4