ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA Family Permit and PR

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

sshah20
Pakistan

EEA Family Permit and PR

Post by sshah20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi All,

I am posting here on behalf of my friend who is Non EU national. He got his EEA family permit in October, 2012 on the basis of unmarried partner and then subsequently got married in July, 2014. His wife received PR recently and now not working. His question are as follows.

1. As his wife is not exercising treaty anymore, will this be problem when he apply for PR in October, 2017 after completing five year.
2. He also told me that their relationship is breaking down and want to file a divorce. His question is what would be his status after divorce before the compilation of 5 years period.

They are living togather for the last 7 years and has one daughter from the relationship. His daughter currently hold PR.

Please reply to this post and your help will be greatly appreciated.

Shah

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: EEA Family Permit and PR

Post by CR001 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm

He can only retain rights once married for 3 years.

He will have to make an RoR application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 pm

If there is a child and arrangements are made for the child to stay in the UK and see the father, then the 3 years requirement is not applicable.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:24 pm

Obie wrote:If there is a child and arrangements are made for the child to stay in the UK and see the father, then the 3 years requirement is not applicable.
But, would that not move the case from RoR under the Directive to a Chen/Zambrano "derivative rights not leading to settlement" case?
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

sshah20
Pakistan

Post by sshah20 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks CR001, secret.Simon and Obie,

Child will stay with his father as she is much more attach to his father.

As only few months left to his PR and wife is already on PR but has stop working recently after getting PR.
Suppose everything is fine between husband and wife and he complete his five years. Will it not affect his application for PR as his wife is not exercising anymore?

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:30 pm

sshah20 wrote:As only few months left to his PR and wife is already on PR but has stop working recently after getting PR. Suppose everything is fine between husband and wife and he complete his five years. Will it not affect his application for PR as his wife is not exercising anymore?
So long as wife has acquired PR status, she does not need to be exercising treaty rights any more.

Your friend needs to be in the UK for five continuous years as the spouse of an EEA Citizen who is either exercising treaty rights OR who has PR.

There is no need for your friend and his wife to live together, so long as both of them live somewhere in the UK and are not legally divorced.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:36 pm

secret.simon wrote:
Obie wrote:If there is a child and arrangements are made for the child to stay in the UK and see the father, then the 3 years requirement is not applicable.
But, would that not move the case from RoR under the Directive to a Chen/Zambrano "derivative rights not leading to settlement" case?

No Secret Simon, it has nothing to do with Zambrano, and everything to do with Regulation 10(5)d(ii) or 10(5)(d)(iii).
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors