ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why can I not immigrate to UK with my mother?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

topu
Newly Registered

Why can I not immigrate to UK with my mother?

Post by topu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:07 am

Hi, my mother just got her UK citizenship and she has been trying to get me to her in UK for years. We are both Bangladeshi. My mother also married a UK citizen 10 years ago and is still with him. I have read all the rules and regulation and consulted few solicitors but all of them said that my case is a lost cause and she cannot bring me to her. All because I am an adult and somehow 'financially capable of taking care of myself?'.
I stayed in the UK under a tier 4 visa for my postgrad and could find nothing to help me stay there-no jobs, phds or anything.
How can I go to UK to my mother under her visa?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Why can I not immigrate to UK with my mother?

Post by Wanderer » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:45 am

topu wrote:Hi, my mother just got her UK citizenship and she has been trying to get me to her in UK for years. We are both Bangladeshi. My mother also married a UK citizen 10 years ago and is still with him. I have read all the rules and regulation and consulted few solicitors but all of them said that my case is a lost cause and she cannot bring me to her. All because I am an adult and somehow 'financially capable of taking care of myself?'.
I stayed in the UK under a tier 4 visa for my postgrad and could find nothing to help me stay there-no jobs, phds or anything.
How can I go to UK to my mother under her visa?
if you are over 18 you are deemed at adult capable of looking after yourself and must qualify under your own merits if you want to immigrate to UK, not via your parental coat-tails.

There's no 'somehow' about it, you are an adult full stop.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

secret.simon

Re: Why can I not immigrate to UK with my mother?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:43 am

How old are you? When and how did your mother acquire her British citizenship?

Generally, adults (people over 18) have no right to enter the UK based on their parents' British citizenship. They can of course enter and stay as spouses of British citizens, but even then the British citizen spouse has to meet specific requirements (such as earning at least £18,600 per annum, etc).

Your mother could look at the Surinder Singh route, where she would move with her entire British family to another EEA country, invite you to that EEA country, move the center of her life there (typically that means spending about 6 months to a year there) and then return with you to the UK. For this to work, she must prove that you are dependent on her. This route is a part of EU law and would be lost on Brexit. But this is the only way in which you can come to the UK based on your mother's citizenship.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.