ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Residence Card- EEA FP Surinder Singh- Medical Insurance?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Jonboy
Newly Registered

UK Residence Card- EEA FP Surinder Singh- Medical Insurance?

Post by Jonboy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:04 pm

Apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread, I have found similar but not identical situations and have only a few days to reply to the Home Office with further supporting evidence in relation to applying for a residence card for my wife.

I am a UK citizen, my wife is Thai, we have 4 children together. We lived in Italy for 3 years and obtained an EEA Family Permit under the Surinder Singh route. Work in Italy dried up and we moved to the UK in July last year so that I could take up fulltime work here (for the same UK company I was working for in Italy). My wife entered the UK under the EEA Family Permit (after the usual arguments with border control at Calais, mainly focused on the fact our Family Permit had "expired" - I explained that the expiry date was irrelevant as it proved our family status and that our family status had not "expired").

We have subsequently bought a house in the UK and sent off a residence card application for my wife. This was in August last year. Since then we have had contact from the Home Office three times, first to confirm the application and issue a "certificate of application", secondly to submit biometric information (for the 3rd time!) which we did, and now I have received another letter stating that our application is yet to be considered and inviting us to submit additional documents and information in light of the changes to "regulation 9" on 25th November 2016.

I am really not sure how this effects our situation but am specifically concerned with whether or not my wife needs to get medical insurance?

I work full-time, she is a stay at home mum, currently full-time carer to our youngest who was born here in the UK in November last year.

Really appreciate any advice anyone can offer, currently I have drafted a letter explaining our situation and answering the 16 questions submitted to us in this latest Home Office letter. I am planning to enclose job offer when we moved to Italy, job offer for UK, mortgage deed for our house, council tax letter & my payslips from UK employment. They already have marriage certificates, birth certificates, all of our passports, my wife's 5 year permission to stay in Italy and the EEA Family permit and previous visas she has been granted (all stamped in her passport).

I am getting concerned as I really thought it would be a straight forward process having already obtained the EEA Family permit but here we are 6 months later and feel like we're getting nowhere...

MrSlyFox

Re: UK Residence Card- EEA FP Surinder Singh- Medical Insura

Post by MrSlyFox » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:24 pm

Hello,

You might have already seen the guidance but I'll link it just in case - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ns-_v1.pdf

If you the sponsor (British Citizen) under SS is treated as an EEA National. Your wife and son (If he isn't British) as a worker, they do not require CSI. Only if you are going to be economically inactive (i.e. student or self-sufficient).

As the November changes are quite recent there isn't much information on people's experiences with them and applying.