ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Did anyone went to Latvia recently

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tommy2
Newly Registered

Did anyone went to Latvia recently

Post by Tommy2 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 pm

Hi,guys can anyone help me ,iwant to go to latvia for few days, i heard that the immgtation there is very anoying, is that true?any sugestions, iam on work permit here in ireland

runie80
Member of Standing

Post by runie80 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:50 am

And your reason to travel to Latvia is ?
In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

asrpb

Re: Did anyone went to Latvia recently

Post by asrpb » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:58 am

Tommy2 wrote:Hi,guys can anyone help me ,iwant to go to latvia for few days, i heard that the immgtation there is very anoying, is that true?any sugestions, iam on work permit here in ireland
Latvian Immigration can be bit annoying, depending on what Nationality you are.
If you are EU national then it should be fine.
But if you are non-EU and from visa exempt country, make sure you take a letter from Latvian embassy stating the same. Otherwise you might end up spending a while on immigration counter, wondering what's happening as most of them on counters don't speak English and there's a tradition of not explaining what's going on.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Re: Did anyone went to Latvia recently

Post by joesoap101 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 2:57 pm

Who wants to become an illegal immigrant in Latvia anyway? Most of the country have left for better pay!

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Shame that Tommy2 hasn't popped back in. I missed the original post, but if there is a warm body ready to respond ... I have a LOT to say about Latvia.

However, a person interested will have to give some information regarding the purpose & duration of their stay, as well as their nationality.

Immigration here is still semi-Soviet in many cases. But, under some circumstances, it is fairly painless (in relation to the big picture of immigrating anywhere).

Just want to visit for a party? Or interested in working / residing?

Moved to European forum.

the Admin
Contact Information:
• Mobile: +44 (0)77996 22200
• Tel: +44(0)344 991 9222
• Email: sanwar.ali@workpermit.com

Follow Us On:
• LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/sanwarali/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/workpermitcom

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:57 pm

Administrator wrote:.

Shame that Tommy2 hasn't popped back in. I missed the original post, but if there is a warm body ready to respond ... I have a LOT to say about Latvia.

However, a person interested will have to give some information regarding the purpose & duration of their stay, as well as their nationality.

Immigration here is still semi-Soviet in many cases. But, under some circumstances, it is fairly painless (in relation to the big picture of immigrating anywhere).

Just want to visit for a party? Or interested in working / residing?

Moved to European forum.

the Admin
Do they use the term 'chornaya zhopa' in Latvia like they do in Russia?
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:04 pm

I wouldn't know. Russian is not a language I intend to spend time learning. It's been a nightmare finding time to brush up on my high school German and try to begin Latvian.

I've got either two or three years to learn enough Latvian to qualify for permanent residency, and I'm rather hoping Russian will be a dead language here by then or soon after.

:twisted:

the Admin
Contact Information:

Follow Us On:

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:26 pm

I wouldn't know. Russian is not a language I intend to spend time learning. It's been a nightmare finding time to brush up on my high school German and try to begin Latvian.

I've got either two or three years to learn enough Latvian to qualify for permanent residency, and I'm rather hoping Russian will be a dead language here by then or soon after.

the Admin
All the Baltic State people I see here are Russian speakers, perhaps they are more nomadic than the indigenous populace...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:19 pm

Wanderer wrote:All the Baltic State people I see here are Russian speakers, perhaps they are more nomadic than the indigenous populace...
Pretty much anyone 25 & older speaks pretty decent, if not nearly native/fluent Russian.

Under 25 ... more and more speak broken or none. I teach English to 15 & 17 year-olds who don't speak Russian, or so poorly that they can just about manage traffic directions or buying things at the market.

The majority of working age people at the very least began their schooling in Russian-speaking schools, and some continued until they finished 12th form or entered the university.

That is no longer the standard case (especially in Latvia & Estonia). There are State schools that support the native language plus English as a second, with Russian still used by some of the older Soviet teachers (when they can get away with it). There is an entire second school system of 'private' Russian schools where Soviet decedents are indoctrinated into the Russian language and version of history (where the heroic Soviets saved the poor Baltic nations from Hitler and America ... and will return 'soon' to help the poor ignorants with kicking NATO out. It is pure altruism on the part of the infinitely kind and benevolent Russians, if ONLY the ignorant natives could wake up and see the Light ... :roll: ).

I still get students of 21 or 23 that are shocked (and I mean SHOCKED) by the use of the term "occupation" to describe the Soviet presence in the Baltics & East Europe. Every single one of them is the product of a Soviet household with very regimented indoctrination in Russian schools.

Those Russian schools get some subsidies from the governments via ex-Soviets (who are in the government) who funnel money to them, but increasingly it comes from 'private sources' (interests from Russia) ... and, increasingly, those schools are failing due to lack of resources. Yes, I have taught in some of those schools, and I have INTIMATE inside knowledge of the vermin running them).

A large percentage of "Baltic States" people who have left for jobs are people of Russian decent, no matter the citizenship they claim. Your personal experience/sampling is most probably rather skewed statistics.

I was being semi-sarcastic about Russian becoming a 'dead' language, but only semi.

The enclaves of Russian speakers grow smaller and more isolated each day. Largely they depend on criminal money from within these countries, or from interests within Russia.

It is an unstable relationship that is deteriorating. In ten to 15 years, Russian (the language) will be closer in parity to German and Swedish, unless 'something else' drastic happens.

Do not underestimate the seething hatred under the surface here for the Soviet occupation and rape of these countries. It is better contained but of similar intensity to the situation in Serbia & Kosovo between the Serbs & Albanians right now. I rarely use the term "hatred" lightly, and I am sure not doing so now. It is an emotion that travels in both directions ... the Russians here utterly hate the Latvians. Try to get a rational answer out of one of them .. and post about it. Because I haven't heard one yet.

Anyway, failing a manufactured 'incident,' hopefully the last of the Soviet filth will be washed from the system in another two decades. But, I'm not holding my breath ... a lot of the natives have discovered the benefits of wallowing in the Soviet-instilled corruption. It can be very profitable for people with no soul, no matter their ancestry.

And that corruption is an endemic component of all politics and business here.

Endemic.

the Admin
Contact Information:

Follow Us On:

stanik

Post by stanik » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Russian laguage will never dead in Latvia!! NEVER!

the Admin