ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unwelcoming Job Market !

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

summer08

Unwelcoming Job Market !

Post by summer08 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:32 am

Hi there,
I have degree in Engineering(1978)and Master's degree in construction (2007) from Scottish university but never worked since arrived in the UK in 2008 as I had to look after my child who is 13 now !I am 60 now !! :(
My partner works and earns £35000 pa.
I am in good health and would like to return back to work but face unwelcoming job market which is predictable ! I'm thinking to apply for job seeker allowance in order to get help in finding a job.Is that possible?
Any help is much appreciated
Thanks in advance
Summer

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Unwelcoming Job Market !

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:35 pm

What is your nationality or immigration status?

With now work experience, you will struggle if you are looking for a job in your chosen field. Suggest lower your expectations, you will likely have to start at the very bottom.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

summer08

Post by summer08 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:55 pm

CR001 wrote:What is your nationality or immigration status?

With now work experience, you will struggle if you are looking for a job in your chosen field. Suggest lower your expectations, you will likely have to start at the very bottom.
Many thanks for your reply. I got British citizenship last year. I have work experience before 2008, however, I'm happy to change or start new career.
Am I eligible for JSA?
Please advise

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:11 pm

No issue to claim JSA. But claiming it does not mean you get lots of help finding a job.

You will likely have to start with a relatively low level admin or similar type job due to no recent job experience. This is also dependent on where in the UK you are based as some areas have very poor job prospects.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.