ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child benefit claim

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Isleofwightman
Newly Registered

Child benefit claim

Post by Isleofwightman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Hi there. I am not sure if this is the correct platform to start on but a start needs to be made. I am a South African born male. My wife is British born. We have been married for 23 years. We have three children. We returned to UK last year from living in S.A. We are both working. And I am on the spousal visa. Which we will renew in two years time now. In the mean time my wife has been given child benefit and is now applying for child tax credits. I am concerned that this would affect my next application. As the process was clear that I and my wife could not claim any benefit. And these are both benefits. My wife has been assured by her mates and the respective offices that we are OK. Could you please confirm that this is OK, or not. And if not how could I rectify this. My wife works minimum of 16 hours a week some times more. I work in a self employed roll and earn commission only. Please give us some guidance.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Child benefit claim

Post by CR001 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Child Benefit must be claimed in your wife's name only.

Child tax credits MUST be claimed in JOINT names.

Both permitted and no effect on your visa.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Isleofwightman
Newly Registered

Post by Isleofwightman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:44 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. And for laying my concerns to rest. I don't mean to be rude. But I would like to know what you base your answer on? Are you a legal consultant? Or do you work in the home office?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:31 am

I am neither, just have experience of claiming in exactly the same way when I was on an Ancestry visa (2008/2009) and then a spouse visa (2010/2012), got my ILR (2012) and Citizenship(2012) successfully without any issues or questions.

See also page 18 of the Public Fund Guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... _v13.0.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ROMARIC
Newly Registered

Post by ROMARIC » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:48 pm

It should never affect your claim. She has the right to apply as your children are British. I am in the same case as husband of a British citizen and she claims everything she has to without affecting my stay status.