ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to register a partnership.

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:38 pm

Hello everyone,
I have looked on the europa.eu website, and it states that if you are an eu citizen, and want your non-eu partner to live or travel with you in europe, you dont have to get married, you can apply for a registred partnership instead, does anyone know anything about this? How would we apply?
leelaa

vinny

Post by vinny » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:03 am

Registered partnerships probably refers to registration of same-gender couples. However, if you are in a durable relationship, duly attested with an EU national, then you may enjoy the same rights.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:00 am

What is your goal? To travel with your partner, or to officially register or celebrate your relationship?

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:48 pm

Hello everyone, thank you for your reply, my ultimate goal is to live work or travel with my partner in europe without having to get married, i am 20 and from england, he is 25 and from quebec canada, how would i gain information on getting our partnership registred.

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:55 pm

..how would i go about getting a durable relationship, duly attested with him?.. is there anywhere i can get more information on how to do this?..please help me, i've been making myself ill over this for weeks, i cant lose him again..

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:35 am

leelaa wrote:my ultimate goal is to live work or travel with my partner in europe without having to get married, i am 20 and from england, he is 25 and from quebec canada, how would i gain information on getting our partnership registred.
Registered partnership is typically for gay couples and is equivalent to marriage.

There is no light weight "easy" solution. If you are married you benefit from European free movement rights. Or if you have a long term relationship and have lots of supporting evidence of the long term ("like a married family") relationship.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:39 am

leelaa wrote:..how would i go about getting a durable relationship, duly attested with him?
How long have you been together?
--
Mark Y-M
London

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi, we have been together for around 2 years, but its been difficult being able to live together consistantly because of immigration laws. Could someone please tell me what i need to do or who i need to contact in order to register us as a durable relationship? I'm just not sure where to start, would we have to be registred in the uk, or would any country in eu be alright? please help...

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:10 pm

leelaa wrote:Hi, we have been together for around 2 years, but its been difficult being able to live together consistantly because of immigration laws. Could someone please tell me what i need to do or who i need to contact in order to register us as a durable relationship? I'm just not sure where to start, would we have to be registred in the uk, or would any country in eu be alright? please help...
You need two years provable continuous living together in the form of letters/docs address singly or jointly evenly spaced over the two years from at least five different sources.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:46 pm

leelaa wrote:Could someone please tell me what i need to do or who i need to contact in order to register us as a durable relationship?
You can't 'register' it. It's a judgement made by an immigration official at the time they look at your application. That judgement will be made on the basis of whatever evidence you can supply to justify your relationship.
--
Mark Y-M
London

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:02 pm

Thanks again for the reply... what would be the first step? do i have to apply in the uk or can i apply anywhere in europe? its been hard for us to live together consistantly for 2 years straight though due to immigration laws, we have also moved around alot together.. how long would we need to have been living together continuously?.. also where can i obtain an application?..i'm so sorry for all the questions but i do need help and any advice is greatly appriciated.

leelaa

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:08 pm

leelaa wrote:Thanks again for the reply... what would be the first step? do i have to apply in the uk or can i apply anywhere in europe? its been hard for us to live together consistantly for 2 years straight though due to immigration laws, we have also moved around alot together.. how long would we need to have been living together continuously?.. also where can i obtain an application?..i'm so sorry for all the questions but i do need help and any advice is greatly appriciated.

leelaa
24 months continuous for unmarried partner.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:25 pm

leelaa wrote:how long would we need to have been living together continuously?
No there is no fixed period for this. Two years is a decent rule of thumb in some cases, but it is not prescribed in law. If you have been together for a year and already have a lovely baby, that is almost definitely sufficient. If you have been together for ten years but have never lived in the same city, then that might not be enough.

If you fall under Directive 2004/38/EC's strict definition of "family member", then it is very clear cut. If you are a "beneficiary", then you need to demonstrate that there is a substantial and continuing relationship to benefit from the free movement rights.
Last edited by Directive/2004/38/EC on Thu Feb 07, 2008 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:13 pm

leelaa wrote:Thanks again for the reply... what would be the first step?
To decide exactly where you want to go, then to do some research yourself.

Your only stated goal here is "to live work or travel with my partner in europe without having to get married".

I'm afraid that's too vague to get any more useful advice than you already have had.
--
Mark Y-M
London

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:59 pm

Further to mym, can you tell us;

1. Where you would like to move to (country)
2. What you are currently doing with yourself (esp. you...are you working, studying, etc)
3. What you'll be doing if you move
4. If you have any documented proof of being together in Europe...you mentioned you lived together - do you have any proof of this?
5. If you would like to return to the UK together.

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:09 pm

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your help.
we're not really settled anywhere right now, we will be able to prove we've been living together for a year (6 months in montreal, 6 months in italy) he is doing a working holiday visa in italy for 6 months and being an eu citizen i can live and work there anyway, we would like to settle maybe in italy or france however would he need to have a visa for the country i am applying in?...please help,
leelaa.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:40 am

I would strongly suggest you read through all the material at http://eumovement.wordpress.com/directive-200438ec/

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi everyone, thanks for your reply, i've tried to read through that site but i dont nderstand what they mean at all, are there any numbers i could possibly call to chek the requirements and eligability of my situation?.. i just want to be able to live with him in an eu countryby registering us as having a durable relationship, please.. i'm so worried, i really need some help..i

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:46 pm

leelaa wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for your reply, i've tried to read through that site but i dont nderstand what they mean at all, are there any numbers i could possibly call to chek the requirements and eligability of my situation?.. i just want to be able to live with him in an eu countryby registering us as having a durable relationship, please.. i'm so worried, i really need some help..i
How will u live in this EU country? Job, place to live?

Why can u not marry?

mym
Member of Standing

Post by mym » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:10 pm

leelaa wrote:Hi everyone, thanks for your reply, i've tried to read through that site but i dont nderstand what they mean at all
It is written in very clear english - there are a lot worse things to come for you if you can't follow it. You are moving between countries, not towns and the complexities are considerable.
are there any numbers i could possibly call to chek the requirements and eligability of my situation?.. i just want to be able to live with him in an eu countryby registering us as having a durable relationship, please.. i'm so worried, i really need some help..i
1. The 'numbers' would be the embassy of wherever you decide to go, you need to decide that first.

2. You've been told several times that you CANNOT 'register as having a durable relationship'. Whether you have a 'durable relationship' is a decision made by an immigration official at the time you apply for a visa based on the evidence you supply.

You really have to be able to get your head round the necessary facts. If you are going to get so easily flustered and worried at this early stage of affairs maybe moving is not a good idea at all.
--
Mark Y-M
London

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:47 pm

we either want to live in france or italy, he has a 6 month working holiday for italy, and i am going with him. While we are there we would like to work on a perminant solution that dosent involve getting married. I understand that getting registred as having a durable relationship may be a complicated process and is the decision of an immigration officer, however i just dont know where to start. I just have alot more questions than answers. We have the money to move between countries, i have family in italy and france, and i'm from the uk, i am not sure which country i am supposed to apply in, if we wanted to stay in italy would i have to apply at the embassy there even though i dont live there perminantly?.. i'm not really sure what my options are or which form i should ask for. I appologise if i'm coming accross as ignorant but i just want to understand this properly..

freshprince

Post by freshprince » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:39 pm

Lelaa:You have been given excellent advice so far and it seems what you actually need is reassurance that everything would go fine but your greatest ally in this regard is to be very well informed because although the laws may be clear,alas you are dealing with human beings who may be lazy,malicious or downright insenstive so you have to confront that with seasoned,knowledgeable actions based on law,common sense and a little luck.
First choose a country.
Second check out the interpretations of Directive 2004/38/EC of your chosen state and whether it is favourable to you.
Third get in touch with the regulatory agency for any clarifications.
Fourth Be ready to quote and utilize national and EU laws as it applies to your case.
Fifth Have all the documentation that as been suggested to you translated and notarised(depending where you go)
Sixth Registered partnerships dont apply in your case,it is not a sign here and bring two recent passport photographs affair.
Seven You cant go wrong by browsing this threads thoroughly to find real life scenarios that adress your concerns.

Good luck.

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:40 pm

I'm sorry if i am coming accross ignorant, we are just looking for a perminant solution. I have been living with him in canada for 6 months, he is now going to italy on a 6 month working holiday visa, and seeing as i am an eu citizen i can live and work there too. While we are there we would like to apply to be registred...i'm just really unsure where to start. If we wanted to sttle in italy, would i have to call immigration in italy and apply there even if i'm not an itallian citizen? please help..i just want to make sure i understand the process so that i can act accordingly..

leelaa
Newly Registered

Post by leelaa » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:43 pm

Thank you so much for your help, i am very greatful. Can we still apply in italy even if i'm not a citizen of italy?

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:02 pm

You can apply in Italy if you decide to live in Italy. Or, if you move to Italy but decide you want to go to France instead, then you apply through the French embassy in Italy for the relevant visa.

The point you're misunderstanding is the whole 'registered' thing. What do you want to register? That you're partners? There is no where you can do this - it must be proven when you submit your application to move together across the EU. For example, the UK allows unmarried partners to apply for visas - they don't need proof of their status other than an evidence folder that proves they lived together for the required amount of time - such as bills, tenancy agreements, etc.

Other countries differ in that they, unlike the UK, have not set a minimum amount of time for the unmarried partner's visa. So you need to prove to them that you should qualify. This might be a long process and might not allow you to apply for the EEA permit in the end.

Firstly you should follow freshprince's advice and do a lot more reading. Do either of you speak Italian? What type of job are you expected to get during the 6 months out there?