ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Engaged partner coming to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lik
Newly Registered

Giving notice to get married in UK with oversea partner

Post by lik » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Hi All,

I am a British Citizen and I am planning to take my girlfriend to the UK to give notice and married in the UK and then live and work in the UK thereafter.

My girlfriend is Chinese and we studied together at university in UK. She is in China now. She will be sending her visa application (join family living permanently in the UK) in China.

We have met all the requirements (financial, English, accommodation, pictures of us spending time together etc). The only issue we are experiencing is we need to prove that we plan to marry or become civil partners within 6 months of arriving in the UK. This is the evidence of us has given notice (a letter from register letter) and intend to get married? This is our plan anyway but it is a legal requirement to give 28 days notice at local register office before we get married. We both need to attend to give notice but my girlfriend is in China and she cannot come to UK without a visa. To get her visa, we need to provide evidence of giving notice. Egg or chicken? Please advise, thanks.

Kind regards,
Lik

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Re: Giving notice to get married in UK with oversea partner

Post by seagul » Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:56 pm

I guess fiancee visa will serve your purpose. Wait a bit you will definitely get valuable help about it by expert members.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:09 pm

You're correct that you will be unable to register your intent to marry until your fiancee is in the UK. You can however submit any evidence that you have made an initial approach to the Registrar (availability ect.) together with quotes for wedding invitations, venue etc.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lik
Newly Registered

Post by lik » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:36 pm

Casa wrote:You're correct that you will be unable to register your intent to marry until your fiancee is in the UK. You can however submit any evidence that you have made an initial approach to the Registrar (availability ect.) together with quotes for wedding invitations, venue etc.

Thanks for your quick reply, Casa.
Hope the register office would will provide me something to show to Home Office that I did tried.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:39 pm

They may email you either a response that you can't register until your fiancee is in the UK, or provide available dates for the ceremony. Either should be sufficient to prove your intent to marry,
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

lik
Newly Registered

Engaged partner coming to UK

Post by lik » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Hi All,

My partner is coming to UK to get married with me and she will need to apply for a visa.

My understanding is we need to get married within 6 months of arriving to UK and she cannot work during that period. Does that mean her visa will be just 6 months long and she doesnt need to pay for the health surcharge and do the Tuberculosis test?

And she will need to apply to remain for a new visa again once we have married?

Many thanks, guys.

Lik

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Engaged partner coming to UK

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:25 pm

Topics merged. Please keep all your questions on the same application in a single thread (this one)
lik wrote:Hi All,

My partner is coming to UK to get married with me and she will need to apply for a visa.

My understanding is we need to get married within 6 months of arriving to UK and she cannot work during that period. Does that mean her visa will be just 6 months long and she doesnt need to pay for the health surcharge and do the Tuberculosis test? Health surcharge no, TB test might be required.

And she will need to apply to remain for a new visa again once we have married? Yes, provided she applies initially for the Fiance visa and not the marriage visitor visa.

Many thanks, guys.

Lik
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:45 pm

Hello,

If my girlfriend is from a country, where TB test is required, and she is applying for a fiancee visa, does she need to do a TB test? In my understanding, since the visa is only valid for 6 months, such test is NOT required. Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:51 pm

smarter1 wrote:Hello,

If my girlfriend is from a country, where TB test is required, and she is applying for a fiancee visa, does she need to do a TB test? In my understanding, since the visa is only valid for 6 months, such test is NOT required. Thanks
Please post in your own topic rather than tagging onto another members thread. It is considered rude and isn't fair to the original poster.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

smarter1
United Kingdom

Post by smarter1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:01 pm

CR001 wrote: Please post in your own topic rather than tagging onto another members thread. It is considered rude and isn't fair to the original poster.
True but my question directly relates to the previous post, where it was stated that TB test might be required. Would be very helpful if you can elaborate on what does it mean? Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:26 pm

smarter1 wrote:
CR001 wrote: Please post in your own topic rather than tagging onto another members thread. It is considered rude and isn't fair to the original poster.
True but my question directly relates to the previous post, where it was stated that TB test might be required. Would be very helpful if you can elaborate on what does it mean? Thanks
Can you start your own topic please or continue in one if you already have one as you will very likely have other questions. It is UNFAIR to post your question in another members topic and it creates confusion. Read Me - Forum T&Cs Refresher (click)

Apologies to user 'lik' that your topic has now been locked.
Char (CR001 not Casa)