ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UKM Question - Originals vs.Nationality Checking Service

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

enzhaus
Newly Registered

UKM Question - Originals vs.Nationality Checking Service

Post by enzhaus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:23 am

I was thrilled to get the original copy of my mother's birth certificate, which means that I am all set to submit my UKM application....then, I realized today that I am being asked to send my original US Passport - which would be fine, except I am traveling to the UK and Switzerland in May, and need it!

I do have an expired passport that I can send them, but I don't think they'll want that. MUST I send the original, or is there a way to notarize a color copy?

If all else fails, has anyone had experience with the Nationality Checking Service offered by County Councils? I am very happy to make an appointment, pay my 60 and have them verify everything, but I am suspicious that this process seems just too easy.....

vinny

Re: UKM Question - Originals vs.Nationality Checking Service

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:53 am

An advantage of using the NCS is that you may normally keep your original documents.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 am

As far as I am aware, NCS is not available for UKM applications as HO require all the documents in original format in order to authenticate and verify them. The guidance is clear that it is a postal application.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ambrit
Newly Registered

Post by ambrit » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:02 pm

Hi enzhaus. I understand your concerns and don't want to put you off, but I've had a less than satisfactory, and what I hope is unusual, experience with the submission of my UKM application and documents. I've planned a trip to the UK in May and submitted my UKM application on January 17th via overnight courier and included a prepaid overnight courier envelope for return of my documents. It was signed for on January 19th and my credit card debited on January 23rd. Since then I have not received an acknowledgment of receipt of my application or any communications from the home office. I have sent e-mails to the Enquiries address, the FurtherEnquries address, the Minister of Immigration and the MP for the area I plan to establish residence. I have also called the home office several times. Just this week I'm finally getting some communications indicating that my matter is being investigated, but I've received no confirmation that my documents, including my original passport, have not been lost or misplaced. I am keeping this board up to date on my progress via another string at UKM Application and Timeline if anyone encounters the same situation and needs help resolving it (assuming I get it resolved!). Cheers.

sscowden
Newly Registered

Post by sscowden » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi enzhaus. i am also a UKM applicant. Submitted application in Jan. Did biometrics in Feb, and am now awaiting approval. It's true there is nothing in the UKM guide that indicates that it's acceptable to send a notarized color copy of your passport (versus the actual passport) and rightfully so, no moderator here would likely ever recommend doing that.

But that's what I did. And the delay ambrit (above) is experiencing is one of the reasons I did it. I have int'l travel at the end of March, and again in May. Also, I swapped a few messages with another applicant from this forum named elizababa last year, who had the same concern, since biometrics were not up and running in the US yet and applications were being further delayed. She went ahead and sent a notarized copy of her US passport instead of the original. She wrote a cover letter with her application explaining that she had int'l travel planned, and she ultimately experienced no delay in her approval. It is worth noting that she DID include a few extra docs that weren't required (grandma's birth certificate, grandparent's marriage license), so it's possible those helped sway the agent to overlook the fact that she didn't send an original passport. She also might have gotten a more experienced and/or lenient agent. There's really no way of knowing, so it's a risk for sure. But because my citizenship approval isn't particularly time sensitive and because being without my passport for 3-6 months isn't realistic for me and IS time sensitive, and would stress me out considerably, I decided to take the risk. It could very well come back to haunt me. We'll see.

ambrit, i hope that your application delay is just a fluke and that they will get you back on track before your May travel.

This thread contains my conversation with elizababa from last spring.
british-citizenship/ukm-applicants-for- ... 17-40.html

Here's a current UKM thread with my dates, ambrit's and others'...
british-citizenship/ukm-application-exp ... 05125.html