ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of durable relationship for unmarried EU partners

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Vazexonep
Newly Registered

Proof of durable relationship for unmarried EU partners

Post by Vazexonep » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:34 am

Hi,

me and my unmarried partner have recently moved to the UK. We both are EU nationals and we plan to apply shortly for registration certificates. I'll apply as a working qualified person. My unmarried partner will apply as an ‘extended family member’. We must show that we’re in a lasting & durable relationship when we apply.

We have both lived together in my unmarried partner's apartment outside UK in the EU country of our nationality for 7 years already.

Most of the correspondence we have received in the past 2 years is online PDF files - electricity, gas, internet and other bills, letters from banks, etc.

These PDF files look like normal letters, with our names & address being printed to fit an envelope.
How should we proceed in this case?

Should we print PDFs and send it to HO, even though this would not be an original document?
Or is there a possibility to send electronic files to HO?

Maybe electronic (printed) documents are not accepted at all? Is there then any other possibility to confirm we've lived together for 2 years?

Our national ID cards were issued more than 2 years ago and show same place of residency (address) for both of us. Is this a sufficient proof of lasting & durable relationship?

We can also obtain a written statement from the council in the EU country of our nationality confirming the exact dates we've registered our residence address.

What else can be considered as a proof of lasting & durable relationship?

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Proof of durable relationship for unmarried EU partners

Post by alterhase58 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:17 pm

Does your partner work? In that case partner could register as qualified person as well, saving the effort in proving relationship.
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Vazexonep
Newly Registered

Post by Vazexonep » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:08 pm

Unfortunately my partner doesn't work.

tmonaghan
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by tmonaghan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:49 pm

I, too met my EEA Partner while living as a British Citizen abroad. I did the other way around; I left the UK for Portugal back in 2012. Lived there for 2.5 years and relocated together to London from Lisbon in January 2015. If my partner had been a NON-EEA person we could have come back to the UK via the Surinder Singh route but since he is a EEA Citizen; as a British Citizen I cannot sponsor my partner. So we thought that it will be more cost effective if we lived at the same address in London and showed the HO that we had been together after two years.

The issue when taking into account the documents covering periods of residence outside the UK; is that everything needs to be translated into English. For now, I work full time whilst my partner exercises his Treaty rights as a Self-Sufficient person financially supported by my income. We will soon marry in a few months and he will apply for the Registration certificate for my EEA partner with documents showing that we have lived the last two years as unmarried couple in the UK.

Although the UK will leave the EU; your rights of residence as a EEA couple in the UK will not be the same rights as those who arrived in the UK prior to the referendum. It is very likely that those who came into the UK before the referendum; they will retain their EU Immigration rights and that those who came after will be considered under UK Immigration rules.

I am hoping that both can find somewhere to live together at the earliest time possible and a job. Once you have both nothing prevents you from applying for the Registration certificate as qualified persons.

YOZ
Newly Registered

Post by YOZ » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:26 pm

[quote="Vazexonep"][/quote]

@Vazexonep
You can provide photos of you together. I had a similar situation, but it was even more complicated to prove our relationship as we never lived together, we were doing long distance relationship. We had no official documents, so we supplied about 60 photos together as well as bookings and tickets for mutual trip and it worked for us.