ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can I Get Citizenship From Irish Grandparents?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

HerrowKitty
Newly Registered

Can I Get Citizenship From Irish Grandparents?

Post by HerrowKitty » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:11 am

Hi

My grandparents were Irish born citizens. My mother was born in England, and she has never applied for Irish citizenship, despite now being in her 50's.

If my mother applies for Irish citizenship, can I then apply for Irish citizenship via my mother, after she has completed the process?

I read on the website that you can apply if your grandparents were born in Ireland, but then when I go to apply it says "An application for Irish citizenship through Foreign Birth Registration (FBR) can be submitted by any person with a grandparent born in any part of Ireland or by any person whose parent received Irish citizenship or was deemed to be an Irish citizen prior to the birth of the applicant."

However, when I click next, it tells me I must apply via my parent who must be a citizen. I am confused?

Thanks!

abundantbee
Newly Registered

Re: Can I Get Citizenship From Irish Grandparents?

Post by abundantbee » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:27 am

As your grandparents were born in Ireland then your mother is deemed to be an Irish citizen, even though she wasn't born there. You can then apply for FBR on the basis of your mother being an Irish citizen. The FBR process is taking over 6 months at the moment, according to an email we had from the London embassy. We've been waiting 5 months so far, fingers crossed we don't have to wait too much longer.