ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Expiring passport and residence card

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Minhr

Expiring passport and residence card

Post by Minhr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:12 am

Hi everyone,

I am 5yrs residence card holder (married to EU national). My passport is expiring soon and I should go to my country to replace it. Will I be allowed to enter UK with new passport and residence permit? What are my next steps? Who should I inform, and should I replace my residence card?

Thank you!

alterhase58
Germany

Re: Expiring passport and residence card

Post by alterhase58 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:59 pm

If your residence permit is stamped in the passport then you should be able to use that, together with new valid passport. If separate card (blue trifold?) and no passport number then suggest can be used ok. Why do you have to travel to your country to obtain the passport? Embassy here would be easier?
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

Minhr

Post by Minhr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:55 pm

alterhase58 wrote:If your residence permit is stamped in the passport then you should be able to use that, together with new valid passport. If separate card (blue trifold?) and no passport number then suggest can be used ok. Why do you have to travel to your country to obtain the passport? Embassy here would be easier?
Thank you for the reply. My residence permit is a separate card with no passport number in it. But I thought that it might be linked to my passport in the system. Should I also inform Home Office about change of passport? As I'll have new passport number.
Reason why I can't do it in Embassy is because I still registered in my country and I want to keep this registration. It is a bit complicated process ti unregister as I have to receive new passport for citizen residing abroad.

MrSlyFox

Post by MrSlyFox » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:10 pm

Hello,
Minhr wrote:
alterhase58 wrote:If your residence permit is stamped in the passport then you should be able to use that, together with new valid passport. If separate card (blue trifold?) and no passport number then suggest can be used ok. Why do you have to travel to your country to obtain the passport? Embassy here would be easier?
Thank you for the reply. My residence permit is a separate card with no passport number in it. But I thought that it might be linked to my passport in the system. Should I also inform Home Office about change of passport? As I'll have new passport number.
Reason why I can't do it in Embassy is because I still registered in my country and I want to keep this registration. It is a bit complicated process ti unregister as I have to receive new passport for citizen residing abroad.
You have to carry your residence documentation (blue tri-fold card), old & new passports when you travel. You will have to apply for a new Residence card if you want it linked to your new passport.
If you don’t get a new card for your new passport, you’ll have to carry both your expired passport and your new passport when you travel.
- https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-resid ... rd/replace

Sorry I'm being noisy and you have no obligation to answer but per chance is it a Taiwanese passport? I heard they use a form of household registration which if you lose makes it harder to travel as you lose many visa-free options. Sorry I was just curious - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_pa ... _nationals

Minhr

Post by Minhr » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:21 pm

MrSlyFox wrote:Hello,
Minhr wrote:
You have to carry your residence documentation (blue tri-fold card), old & new passports when you travel. You will have to apply for a new Residence card if you want it linked to your new passport.
If you don’t get a new card for your new passport, you’ll have to carry both your expired passport and your new passport when you travel.
- https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-a-uk-resid ... rd/replace

Sorry I'm being noisy and you have no obligation to answer but per chance is it a Taiwanese passport? I heard they use a form of household registration which if you lose makes it harder to travel as you lose many visa-free options. Sorry I was just curious - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_pa ... _nationals
I'm from Belarus.
Still didn't find any info about that I should apply for new card. Mine is not in passport. Is it 100%?

GMB
United States of America

Post by GMB » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:22 pm

Still didn't find any info about that I should apply for new card. Mine is not in passport. Is it 100%?
I can only tell you my own experience: I've had an EEA RC (standalone document) for nearly five years, during which time I've re-entered the country at least fifty times at six different ports of entry using three different passports, and the passport I used to get the RC originally is the one I show the least. So far no one has said a word. RCs aren't visas, so many of the visa-related rules don't apply to them.