ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

question about start date for ILR qualifying time

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

dantheman
Newly Registered

question about start date for ILR qualifying time

Post by dantheman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:19 pm

Hi,

I intend to apply for ILR on completing five years on a work permit. My question is from what date do I start counting? I was granted the work permit (on my passport) on the 15th of April 2003 whilst I commenced employment on this work permit on the 1st of September 2003. Do I count from the former or the later date for completing the qualifying time?

Many thanks for the help,

brgds

Dan

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:36 pm

It should be from September.

boonworkpermit
Newly Registered

Post by boonworkpermit » Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:39 pm

Not sure about in-country switching, but for people arriving from abroad,
the ILR clock starts the day the immigration officer put the entry stamp across the
entry clerance visa in the passport.

From what I understand, the day you actually start working
is irrelevant, as one often spends weeks looking for
accomodation and so on before he actually starts working.
In my case, I started a month after I had entered the country.

dantheman
Newly Registered

Post by dantheman » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:08 pm

Thanks guys,

I did recieve a reply from a query to the website and it seems to be the day the visa stamp is issued.. quote:
"Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The five year qualifying period for Indefinite Leave to Remain on the basis of Work Permit Employment is considered to have started:

On the date when you entered the UK with your Immigration Employment Document, issued by Work Permits, and Entry Clearance as a Work Permit Holder; or

On the date when you were issued with both your Immigration Employment Document from Work Permits and Further Leave to Remain on the basis of the Immigration Employment Document. If these were issued with different start dates, the later date would be applicable. "

Thanks for all the help....

Dan