ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Eligibility for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ranarehan
United Kingdom

Eligibility for citizenship

Post by ranarehan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:33 pm

Hi,

I was granted ILR (based on 5 years on Tier-1 General) on 21st May 2016. I think I will be eligible to apply for british citizenship (or naturalisation whatever its called - i am still learning) on or after 21st May 2017 after completing 12 . I was reading Citizenship FAQs and following paragraph caught my attention:
An important requirement you should pay attention to is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period i.e. the day the HO receives your application 3/5 years back. This is a pass/fail test and the HO has no discretion with this requirement.
because I was out of UK 3 years ago for 14 days from 24th May 2014 to 7th June 2014.

Based on above paragraph, am I right that I cannot apply for british citizenship from 24th May 2017 to 7th June 2017?

Would it be okay to apply on 22nd May 2017?

I got Fixed penalty for driving offence with 3 points and £100 in October 2013. Could this be any issue?

Could any tax amendment be an issue?

Thanks,

vinny

Re: Eligibility for citizenship

Post by vinny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:38 pm

If you are not the spouse nor civil partner of a British citizen, then you must be in the UK at the start of your 5-year qualifying period.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ranarehan
United Kingdom

Post by ranarehan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:03 am

No, I am not the spouse nor civil partner of a British citizen.

So that means if I apply for naturalisation on 21st May 2017 then I need to make sure that I was physically present in UK on 21st May 2012, right?

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:42 am

Yes. Preferably, with a wide margin for error.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ranarehan
United Kingdom

Post by ranarehan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks vinny.

Could you please answer my other questions if possible?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:01 pm

ranarehan wrote:Hi,

I was granted ILR (based on 5 years on Tier-1 General) on 21st May 2016. I think I will be eligible to apply for british citizenship (or naturalisation whatever its called - i am still learning) on or after 21st May 2017 after completing 12 . I was reading Citizenship FAQs and following paragraph caught my attention:
An important requirement you should pay attention to is that you need to have been physically present in the UK at the beginning of the 3/5 years residence period i.e. the day the HO receives your application 3/5 years back. This is a pass/fail test and the HO has no discretion with this requirement.
because I was out of UK 3 years ago for 14 days from 24th May 2014 to 7th June 2014.

Based on above paragraph, am I right that I cannot apply for british citizenship from 24th May 2017 to 7th June 2017?

Would it be okay to apply on 22nd May 2017?

I got Fixed penalty for driving offence with 3 points and £100 in October 2013. Could this be any issue? No, but it should be declared.

Could any tax amendment be an issue? Possibly.

Thanks,
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Coldwinter

Post by Coldwinter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:08 pm

Hi Casa
Apologies for asking a question on another member's thread but I felt it was related to the topic. My tax code was changed twice by the HRMC last year, I dont know why as I dont understand the ins and outs of how tax codes work. I have only one job and I am not self employed. Will this be an issue?

Thanks

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:10 pm

Coldwinter wrote:Hi Casa
Apologies for asking a question on another member's thread but I felt it was related to the topic. My tax code was changed twice by the HRMC last year, I dont know why as I dont understand the ins and outs of how tax codes work. I have only one job and I am not self employed. Will this be an issue?

Thanks
I've no idea. Ask your employer.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Coldwinter wrote:Hi Casa

Thanks
You don't have to list YOUR tax code. Tax codes change (usually every April), nothing to do with citizenship or any affect on it.

It is the employers tax reference number you have to list.

Please also continue in your own topic rather than tagging onto another members, it is considered rude and unfair to the OP.

british-citizenship/p60s-and-employer-l ... l#p1463365
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

ranarehan
United Kingdom

Post by ranarehan » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Casa,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you please refer me to some cases where tax amendment caused any issue? I tried to search on this forum but could not found any.

If a tax amendment was made before applying for ILR (and there was no issue in getting ILR) then how this could have an impact on naturalisation application?

Thanks again for being helpful.

Cheers,