ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children and EEA-PR application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

TexJD
Newly Registered

Children and EEA-PR application

Post by TexJD » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:31 am

I remember speaking to the Home Office help line about whether to include children on the application (section 12). I have a 5 and 6 year old. The HO said not to include them in the application because if myself and wife get the PR then they will automatically have it. Just curious if this is everyone else's experience or will not including them cause issues later (when going in and out of the UK, citizenship application, etc). Thanks.

edit: both of us in the UK on Polish passports for the last 8 years

noajthan

Re: Children and EEA-PR application

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:46 am

TexJD wrote:I remember speaking to the Home Office help line about whether to include children on the application (section 12). I have a 5 and 6 year old. The HO said not to include them in the application because if myself and wife get the PR then they will automatically have it. Just curious if this is everyone else's experience or will not including them cause issues later (when going in and out of the UK, citizenship application, etc). Thanks.

edit: both of us in the UK on Polish passports for the last 8 years
That is absolutely incorrect advice. Confirmation of PR status cannot be 'inherited' from parents.

Where were children born? and when?
(that makes a big difference regarding whether they actually need any PR confirmed).

As A8 nationals, and if working in UK, did you register for WRS in/before 2011?
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

TexJD
Newly Registered

Post by TexJD » Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:50 am

noajthan wrote: That is absolutely incorrect advice. Confirmation of PR status cannot be 'inherited' from parents.

(that makes a big difference regarding whether they actually need any PR confirmed).

Thank you for reply.

My wife and I went straight into NHS jobs in 2008. Hospital told us they sorted out WRS but didn't so we got WRS in 2009. Children were born in the UK in 2010 and 2011.

noajthan

Post by noajthan » Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:06 am

TexJD wrote:
noajthan wrote: That is absolutely incorrect advice. Confirmation of PR status cannot be 'inherited' from parents.

Thank you for reply.

My wife and I went straight into NHS jobs in 2008. Hospital told us they sorted out WRS but didn't so we got WRS in 2009. Children were born in the UK in 2010 and 2011.
So you are a late register for WRS, if that is recognised (and you then got a valid certificate) then your PR clock started with your work in 2009.
So PR was (probably) acquired sometime in 2014.

If not then your PR clock will only have started in 2011 (when WRS was terminated) and so you probably acquired PR in May 2016.

Either way (your PR in 2014 or 2016), children born in UK before you had settled status (PR) means they are entitled to register as citizens when you have acquired PR.
That is regardless of whether you have a DCPR (PR card) although having a PR card may simplify the paperwork.

So you have choices, apply to register children as citizens now/asap, under section 1(3) of BNA;
use form MN1 (1 each).
Or wait until you have confirmation of your PR status. Then apply to register children.

You can see it means you don't need to include children in the PR forms as they don't need PR in order to become citizens.
It just depends on your PR.

You and wife can apply for DCPR either separately or one person can be the main applicant with the other as a dependent family member.

Also if you have acquired PR in 2014 you do not need to wait another 12 months before applying for the privilege of citizenship.
You can crack on with that application (form AN) once you have the DCPRs in your hand (1 each for you and spouse).

If you only acquired PR in 2016 then wait 12 months before you adults apply to naturalise.

The holy grail of British passports is finally achieved by separate passport applications (one for each adult and child) once they are citizens.
All that is gold does not glitter; Not all those who wander are lost. E&OE.

prforyou
Newly Registered

Post by prforyou » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:17 am

May I ask on this, is it required to include all nationalities of one's child? Mine has German and Algerian, could there be any problem if I tell both and we do not have any residence docs for his Algerian part?