ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Continuous period in the UK for ILR

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

nateymac
Newly Registered

Continuous period in the UK for ILR

Post by nateymac » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:33 pm

Hi all,

I am on a Tier 2 General visa and would like to apply for ILR when the time comes. My understanding from the Home Office guidelines is that I must not spend more than 180 days in any 12 month period abroad in order to do this. Further, I cannot spend more than 28 days (within that 180 days total) on paid leave abroad; however, weekends do not count towards that 28 days, even though they would count towards the 180 day total.

Is my understanding correct? I presume that work trips abroad count towards the 180 day total?

Grateful for your advice.

Thanks,
Nathan

ozayh.malik

Re: Continuous period in the UK for ILR

Post by ozayh.malik » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Is my understanding correct? I presume that work trips abroad count towards the 180 day total?
Yes, Your understanding is right. Anything you spent out of the country will count in the total of 180 days.

nateymac
Newly Registered

Post by nateymac » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 am

@ozayh.malik, thanks. Just checking about the rest; that is, that I can spend 28 days a year (not including weekends) abroad on holidays. Is this right?

paradoxical
Mood:
Pakistan

Post by paradoxical » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:51 pm

Further, I cannot spend more than 28 days (within that 180 days total) on paid leave abroad

The only requirement is that you should not exceed 180 days in any 12 months period, for being outside UK.
There is no 28 days rule for absences on paid leave. You might be confusing the requirement of sponsorhsip being ceased if someone is on unpaid leave for more than 28 days but that is a separate issue. Annual leave are paid leaves and they can exceed 28 days , and you have full liberty of spending your annual leave outside the UK if you wish.