ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Questions regarding spouse visa financial requirements

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

TheLittleErmine
Newly Registered

Questions regarding spouse visa financial requirements

Post by TheLittleErmine » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Hello,

Myself and my spouse are both students in the UK. She is from outside the EEA. I am currently not working as I left my part time employment 1 month ago. I have a job offer for over the £18,600 which is due to commence in July, and my taxable income for 2015-2016 was roughly £30,000. The savings we have combined is roughly £40,000.

I was wondering what are the exact rules on this? Given the savings don't exceed 62,000, and I'm not currently employed, is it pointless to apply for the marriage visa currently?

Thanks.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Questions regarding spouse visa financial requirements

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 am

Yes. Wait until you have 6 months payslips from your new employment, together with the corresponding bank statements.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

TheLittleErmine
Newly Registered

Post by TheLittleErmine » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 am

By which time her current visa would have expired... What is the calculation that must be done when combining savings and the income you've made in the past 6 months, because it seems nonsensical that the savings must be 2.5 * the limit.

TheLittleErmine
Newly Registered

Post by TheLittleErmine » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:17 pm

I'm also unsure about the savings and income combination, if someone could correct my understanding? It says if you have a saving of 40,000 then you can suppliment this with an income of 8000. Does that mean the income for the past year is 8000 and you're currently employed? Ie. if you've been working for a month of a salary of ~700 then you would qualify by this combination of savings + income?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm

Out of your £40000 savings 1st £16000 will be ignored then £24000/2.5= £9600 you can combine to clear the deficit to reach £18600. So you would need to be earning £18600-£9600= £ 9000 as wages.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:16 pm

The issue as I see it will be that you are required to submit evidence of 6 months employment, earning £9,000 p.a if combined with your £40,000 in savings.

As you are currently unemployed and won't start your new job until July, this may be a tall order.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

TheLittleErmine
Newly Registered

Post by TheLittleErmine » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:39 pm

But employment doesn't require to be held for 6 months if you go down the route of category B. Which has two requirements:

1. Your income over the past 6 months divided by 6 and then multiplied by 12 is greater than the threshold (Which I believe can be from several part time jobs?)
2. Your income over the past 12 months is greater than the threshold.

Both of those would hold providing I can find a part time job within the next few months, as my income from previous past jobs and work within the past 12 months should cover the threshold that is left after savings. Does that seem correct?

seagul
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by seagul » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Your understanding is totally correct regarding category B non-salaried person. If you have savings and your previous earned £18600 during last 12 months and during most recent 6 months your variable/non-salaried income meet the threshold then you can qualify. But you have to immediately find job without being unnecessarily unemployed. For such route you should indicate to caseworker in your covering letter instead leaving on them to choose as which route you following.
The opinion expressed as above is neither a professional advice nor contesting/competing to other member's opinion/advice.

TheLittleErmine
Newly Registered

Post by TheLittleErmine » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks. And the 18,600 for the past 12 months, does that change to the updated threshold that is set by combining the savings or does that always remain at 18k?

Because if that's the case then pretty much any employment would push me over the threshold for the 6month period, and I believe I'm already over the 18,600 for the past 12 months.