ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

CSI for non EEA Family Members - PR application

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Alice99
Newly Registered

CSI for non EEA Family Members - PR application

Post by Alice99 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:39 am

My question is about the circumstances in which an EEA national and their unmarried partner would have needed CSI (Comprehensive Sickness Insurance). I am going to give details below to make my situation clear, as well as the reasons for asking. To be very fair, the whole CSI is completely beyond me, I just don’t get it.

I am an EEA national of one of the two accession countries (RO/BG) and I came to UK in 2010 as student. I registered for & obtained a ‘yellow card’ in Feb 2011. I graduated in 2013 and obtained a ‘blue card’ in October 2013. This became irrelevant when RO&BG gained full membership of the EU.
My partner (non EAA) and I had been living together enough time such that by October 2013 we were able to obtain a permit for him as Family Member of an EEA National. He has thus started his 5 year count for PR in October 2013.

First reason I am asking about CSI for myself. I never had CSI and although I have already obtained my permanent residence card ( dated October 2016) and was not asked for CSI, this might come up again when/if I apply for citizenship. The reason I was not asked for CSI is because there are guidelines that say if you obtained a registration certificate before June 2011, you are not required to show CSI for your years as a student. – However I have friends who have been refused PR for not having CSI and are going through an appeal as we speak – so it could have just been my luck with a knowledgeable case officer. I graduated between April and June 2013, depending on what you take as graduation, and I have had periods of unemployment/ seeking jobs/doing nothing for 4-6 weeks in between call centre jobs as I had money left over. Would quitting a job say mid-December and starting another job Feb next year, which gives me a gap of 6 weeks – would this be an example of a time when I would have needed CSI?

Does my partner not need CSI for any period where I was employed, does me being employed cancels the need for CSI for me and him at the same time? What if we were both looking for jobs, did we need CSI in this time? I think we have periods where our unemployment would have overlapped, and if we needed CSI, then his clock for PR would be delayed significantly. But at the same time how did I get PR having never had CSI at all? I did have an UK EHIC from 2012 to 2016…

I appreciate your help – I really couldn’t find the answers that would apply to us.

I would also appreciate if you can either answer, or kindly link me to a topic where this is discussed, what happens to my partner's right to stay in the UK as a unmarried family member of a European, if I were to become British ( with dual citizenship) before he can get a Permanent Residence Card?