ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting mistake in citizenship certificate corrected...

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frenchnubians
Newly Registered

Getting mistake in citizenship certificate corrected...

Post by frenchnubians » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:08 pm

Hello,

So I've been wanting to get a mistake in my citizenship certificate corrected ever since I received it in 2014. It's the address; a mistake of one word but I know on a document like this, it's a huge deal.

I have been able to receive an Irish passport so that's not an issue but I am more worried about applying for citizenship since I might move to Canada or the US. Some people say it's an obsession to want a perfect certificate but I know I've been held up 2 hours in an airport for having a mistake in my Irish visa so I'm definitely sure that Canadians will have a problem with a mistake on the address of my Irish citizenship certificate.

Can I get it done and if so who would I contact? Thanks.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Getting mistake in citizenship certificate corrected...

Post by max307 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:37 am

What do you mean applying for citizenship? If you hold an Irish passport you are an Irish citizen.

Sorry I don’t understand your query, can you please clarify? I’m wasn’t aware that Irish citizens need to provide a certificate of naturalisation if they emigrate to Canada or the US.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.

frenchnubians
Newly Registered

Post by frenchnubians » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:31 pm

max307 wrote:What do you mean applying for citizenship? If you hold an Irish passport you are an Irish citizen.

Sorry I don’t understand your query, can you please clarify? I’m wasn’t aware that Irish citizens need to provide a certificate of naturalisation if they emigrate to Canada or the US.
Oh sorry about the misunderstanding, I am a naturalised Irish citizen who became Irish in 2014, not a natural born citizen.

When I received my certificate, I noticed that there was a mistake in the address, but since I was underage and the fact that It didn't stop me from getting an Irish passport, I forgot about it; But know I would like to correct the mistake corrected because I'm planning to move to Canada or Australia in the future.

As I said, it seems like one small mistake but I know that countries are very strict in regards to mistakes on legal documents, specifically citizenship documents. I know one of my friends had to wait an extra 8 months to get citizenship in Australia because there was a mistake in his citizenship certificate from England so....yeah.

madmedman
Pakistan

Post by madmedman » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

My suggestion is to email citizenshipinfo@justice.ie. They should come back to you very quickly.

I'm not sure if they will replace the cert but would be great if they give you a letter stating the correction.

I understand where you're coming from but I wouldn't worry too much as long as the other data on your cert is correct.

max307
Mood:
Ireland

Post by max307 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:27 pm

I agree with @madmedman, if you were able to get an Irish passport with no issues I don’t think the address will matter.

If your name, date of birth and country of birth matches what you have in your birth certificate and Irish passport I wouldn’t concern too much. I’d send them an e-mail just to be safe.
I am not a lawyer or immigration counselor, all views expressed are my own, my comments do not constitute legal advice.