ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Extension past 3 months?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Extension past 3 months?

Post by Sugarheart » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi there,

My husband from the UK and myself, a Canadian citizen arrived in Ireland on January 15th this year. He was hoping to exercise his EU treaty rights by finding employment so we could live here together permanently. We have our rent, bills, bank accounts, etc all registered here in Ireland now and I'm panicking because time is running out. Despite all of his hard efforts, he still hasn't found employment yet.
I've heard that it's a possibility to apply for an extension for unforseen circumstances, so I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation. Do you think they would consider an extension for our situation?

Thank you

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Re: Extension past 3 months?

Post by jul1 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:05 pm

If he has good chances to find a job than about 6 months is still acceptable, in case you have to prove your genuine chance somehow, btw it is harder to find rent than a job in Ireland at the moment, that is not the time to be picky, get whatever employment he can get with at least 20-25 hours/week.

"The right to remain in the host country after stopping work is now laid down in Directive 2004/38/EC. Job seekers have the right to reside for a period exceeding six months without having to meet any conditions if they continue to seek employment in the host Member State and have a ‘genuine chance’ of finding work; during this time they cannot be expelled"

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:12 am

Sorry, I should've worded my question differently.
Since my husband is a UK citizen, he can automatically stay as long as he wants in Ireland.
My question is if I can extend my right to stay here longer than 3 months while my husband is still seeking employment.

jul1
Mood:
Ireland

Post by jul1 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 am

The answer is the same, i meant it from the point of view of freedom movement directive.
As a UK citizen he can stay in Ireland cause automatically he is a permanent resident BUT that is NOT based on 2004/38 directive (that comes after 5 years of continuous residency), but because UK and Ireland have their OWN agreement between each other.

So you as non-eu have the right to be here until your eu husband is legally here BASED on 2004/38, and that is 1, work 2, study 3, self suffiency. In cases of 2 and 3 both of you have to pay CSI, if you dont pay both that you are not here legally.
He looks like he is going for option 1, but if he is too late get option 3, and DO NOT FORGET to get CSI for both of you, you can apply on eu1, there is a dedicated space for mentioned option 3,
When he gets a job you can stop paying CSI.

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:35 pm

Okay thank you so much for you help!
So is the comprehensive sickness insurance the same as regular health insurance?

shpirtshqipe
Member of Standing

Post by shpirtshqipe » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:21 am

So is the comprehensive sickness insurance the same as regular health insurance?
Comprehensive Health Insurance otherwise known as Private Health insurance provided by the likes of Laya Healthcare, VHI or Aviva cover healthcare costs. in your case it would be best to get a Enhanced or above type of cover plan

Regards

Sugarheart
Newly Registered

Post by Sugarheart » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:30 pm

Thank you!

npayne27
United Kingdom

Post by npayne27 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:09 pm

Hi, you could also register as self-employed. It is really simple if your husband wants to set up a business or an online business. If he sets up an online business he could register as self-employed. I myself teach English online and have registered as self-employed so I will pay tax on my yearly income. That is classified as exercising your rights as well.