ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Applying For Spouse Visa to UK

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Andrew1972

Applying For Spouse Visa to UK

Post by Andrew1972 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi

My girlfriend and I are marrying next week in Cyprus. I am British, living in the UK, and she is Russian. Once we are married, she will apply for a spouse visa to join me in the UK.

We want the process to be as quick as possible. We already know from previous visa's that she's had that she will need to travel to Moscow to provide her fingerprints, and she's also going to need to take the English test, which also means a trip to Moscow

My question is, will she need to legally change the name on her passport to apply for the visa, as this will slow things down further?

thanks

Andrew

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Applying For Spouse Visa to UK

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:25 pm

There is no need to change the name on her passport. Many women choose to retain their maiden name.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Andrew1972

Post by Andrew1972 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks for your speedy reply!

She does want to change her to mine, how easy is that to do on a Russian passport once in the UK?

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:23 pm

Andrew1972 wrote:Thanks for your speedy reply!

She does want to change her to mine, how easy is that to do on a Russian passport once in the UK?
No idea, but I suggest you contact the Russian consulate in London for advice.
http://www.rusemb.org.uk/consular/
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.

Andrew1972

TB Test Certificate

Post by Andrew1972 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:36 am

My wife has just got her TB test certificate, but I notice that the visa category says "Family Reunion", which is incorrect, it should be "family of a settled person"

I presume it will be ok, since it's still a TB test for a UK visa?

Can anyone advise?

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:39 am

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

LME1966
Newly Registered

Post by LME1966 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:33 am

Hi, my Wife is from Ukraine and the systems are almost identical, so I can offer recent experience if it helps.

T.B. letter is only for medically fit. My Wife's had the completely wrong address on and nobody was bothered.

Change of name after Marriage. Just a simple delay like normal... BUT make certain the name alteration is EXACT especially when cross referring with visa application.

We had several issues with Ukrainian language, versus Russian Language, translations between the two, combined with an English visa form. Just to really mess it up my surname is... 'English' When my Wife's first married-name passport came it spelt English as inglish...

We had decided ahead of time to do change of name BEFORE visa application. Only a personal choice though.

feel free to ask if there is anything else. Lewis