ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-2 Extension in process - HR questioning visa status

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

inlondon123
Newly Registered

Tier-2 Extension in process - HR questioning visa status

Post by inlondon123 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi,

My Tier-2 visa expires tomorrow, and my employer has already put a request for my Tier-2 extension about 2 weeks back. My wife's visa is also being extended as my dependent with my application.

My wife’s organisation, mainly HR, is raising questions around legality of my wife’s UK work status beyond visa expiry. We have already provided HR, the Unique Application Number of our extension request last week. HR apparently has raised a Employer Checking Service with Home office to check my wife visa status but not got any response from Home office yet.

HR is suddenly now saying that they might not be able to employ her after visa expiry (tomorrow) - mainly because of HR’s fear of breaking immigration law and lack of understanding of whole extension process.

Can someone experienced, please point me to the relevant section of Immigration Rules that states that Tier 2 applicants (and their dependent) visa status remain intact when they have applied for visa extension before the expiry. I want to show my wife’s HR – that it is wrong to dismiss my wife – because we haven’t broken any immigrating law and we are following the right process of home office.

Is there anything else that I can provide to HR to give them some assurance please?

Any urgent help with be appreciated - thanks!

vinny

Re: Tier-2 Extension in process - HR questioning visa status

Post by vinny » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:49 pm

This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

inlondon123
Newly Registered

Post by inlondon123 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:45 am

Thanks Vinny – appreciate your quick response!

Yesterday, my wife provided the details of 3c section to her HR.
HR is insisting that they will base their decision only on the outcome of Employer Checking Service. If it’s negative, she won’t be allowed to work. So basically, it seems it will depend on reliability of the Employer Checking Service and how thorough the HR was while providing details in the service request.

Is there anything else that senior members can recommend that we can do on our side in the meantime?
Thanks in advance

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:16 pm

See also Sponsors, paranoia and unfair dismissal.

A possible complication is that prior to the UKVI's verification that the submitted application is valid, they may be unable to confirm an applicant's right to work.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

hitsis
Newly Registered

Post by hitsis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:40 am

If the employee submitted the visa application before expiry date, then the employer will get 28 days grace period of statutory excuse.
check p21-22
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... yers-guide

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks for the info! So, the employer may and should postpone the checks for at least 28 days from the date of expiry, thereby giving the UKVI some time to verify the validity of the submitted application.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:00 am

ECS take a simplistic approach because they can't postpone a reply beyond the SLA.
If an in time visa application has been made it is assumed 3(c) is engaged regardless of the basic checks being applied to the application.
They will give a positive verification as long as visa application shows on the system.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks!

So, it all depends on when an application will show up on their system.

Frontier Mole
Respected Guru
European Union

Post by Frontier Mole » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am

Normally everything shows up on the main system in about 5 working days. There is also a sub system that shows very basic information to identify applications made / fees paid before they go onto the main system. ECS I believe have access to the sub system.

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:17 am

Good to know. Thank you!

hitsis
Newly Registered

Post by hitsis » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:29 am

Frontier Mole wrote:Normally everything shows up on the main system in about 5 working days. There is also a sub system that shows very basic information to identify applications made / fees paid before they go onto the main system. ECS I believe have access to the sub system.
The problem with ECS is that it takes up to 5 days to get the result. So the employer can't make sure the applicant can continue work during this period. That's why the 28 days grace period is important to protect the employer from civil penalty.

inlondon123
Newly Registered

Post by inlondon123 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 8:38 am

Folks, some good news from my side.

The ECS result came positive and so HR is happy to continue with employment.

For the benefit of group members - providing some more details for future reference.

Tier-2 extension submitted in-time: calendar day1
ECS initiated: day5
Visa expired: day10
ECS positive outcome: day11

ECS was done based on name, dob, and nationality details only.

Thanks guys for all your support and info!!