ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR refused for having a gap of less than 5 months

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

ILR refused for having a gap of less than 5 months

Post by anton samyvale » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:57 pm

Hello Everybody

I have been a silent reader in this forum for past two years. And I do have to mention that the knowledge that I have gained through reading this forums is enormous. I am very thankful for all the contributors who have given me courage and sometimes valuable information that I would not gained otherwise. I am here to write about my case on which I have been trying to win for past two years. Kindly do read and give me your opinion which I value very much.

The Home Office is not denying on the fact that I have lawful leave from 26th September 2004 (my first arrival) to 31st March 2009(end of my second extention). I did have another extension in 2007 which is not disputed by the Home office.
by the end of March 2009 due to the latency occurred in the publication of the result which came out with an unfortunate outcome of having a module pending to graduate my degree in Commerce. I had to now think of applying again as a student and remain a student until I graduate. I was only prepared to apply for the PSW (post study work) visa. I neither had enough fund in my bank for the required time to satisfy the visa requirements nor the University confirmation letter with the extra module I will be taking on. Due to all these facts I had to post my application on 3rd of April 2009 having my previous visa expired 31st of March 2009. Although I managed to send the application I failed to attach the bank statement as I did not have the fund to meet requirements under student status. The visa was refused and the next fresh application I sent was rejected for not having clearly filled mandatory section and the following application was successful.
I was rejected again when I applied for my PSW in 2011. But I was later granted the visa and is not disputed by the home office that I was lawful throughout the wait for PSW.
In the year 2013 I left the UK and came back as a student in less than 6 months and therefore the Home Office has no dispute towards my stay outside the UK.
My application for ILR was refused in 2015 due to the gap occurred in the year 2009.

GAP in lawful leave - The Home Office is now stating that- it is noted that you had lawful leave following your arrival in the United Kingdom on 26th September 2004 until 31 march 2009. You then submitted an application for further leave to remain on 3rd April 2009 which was out of time but within the 28 day period of your leave expiring. The application was refused stating no rights of appeal on 9th June 2009(which was incorrect it should read as 25th July/ I got the original refusal letter from the HO). You then submitted an application that was out of time on 15th July 2009 which was rejected on 29th July 2009 and your subsequent application of 31st July 2009 was also submitted out of time (which was successful). Therefore your continues leave is deemed to have ended on 3 April 2009 and as such your period of continuous lawful residence to have been broken was not regularised until 28 August 2009, when your next visa was granted.

I have lost in first tribunal and the appeal to the permission for the upper tribunal and I was refused by the upper Tribunal on papers stating it as an excluded decision.

The conferences/consultations which I have had so far with lawyers and consultants have amount in understanding that the case is not an easy one and there is definitely a gap. But is there any credit in this case as the gap between each application in 2009 is no more than 28 days. Is there any other credits in my case despite the fact I am single and I do not have a child born in the UK. your opnion would be much appreciated/Loads of thanks

secret.simon

Re: ILR refused for having a gap of less than 5 months

Post by secret.simon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:45 pm

anton samyvale wrote:But is there any credit in this case as the gap between each application in 2009 is no more than 28 days.
You are allowed a maximum of one application within 28 days of being an overstayer. Any more and it is likely that your continuity of leave is broken.
anton samyvale wrote:it is noted that you had lawful leave following your arrival in the United Kingdom on 26th September 2004 until 31 march 2009. You then submitted an application for further leave to remain on 3rd April 2009
This was a horrible mistake made by you and means that only a single gap of 28 days would be allowed.

Let me explain how it works.

Your leave expired on 31 March 2009. Had you applied on that day or before the leave expired, you would have been covered by Section 3C leave until that application was decided. If it was rejected, you would have had one more chance to apply within 28 days of that application's rejection. However, had this second application been rejected, your continuity of residence is broken.

What did happen in your case was your first application itself was out-of-time. You had no leave to extend when you submitted your first application. Therefore you had no Section 3C leave. Therefore, if your first application failed (as it did), your continuity of residence was broken.

An application only extends leave if you had pre-existing leave on the date of application. The 28 day grace period does not extend or grant leave to remain.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

Post by anton samyvale » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:17 am

thank you for the informative reply. I do accept the points that you have put forward, is there anything I could do at this situation. it was the only problem in this whole 10 years of stay and I undetand it was alone enough to put a stop to it. I would appreciate any suggestion

secret.simon

Post by secret.simon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am

Reapply after 28th August 2019, assuming no further gaps. Not much else you can do about that gap.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.

masha
United Kingdom

Post by masha » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:51 am

Hi you n me have got the similar case please contact me via
Me
Thanks

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

Post by anton samyvale » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:11 am

hello Masha... unfortunately i am unable to message from here... could you kindly let me know how may I contact you instead.... thanks for contacting ...

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:32 am

anton samyvale wrote:hello Masha... unfortunately i am unable to message from here... could you kindly let me know how may I contact you instead.... thanks for contacting ...
Any member who posts contact details will be issued with a warning. Any such details posted will be removed immediately. This is not permitted on the forum.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

Post by anton samyvale » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:14 am

Nope I can not use my private message option- neither send nor receive..could anyone please write to me how I could get the permission from the admin. It would be great contacting someone carrying a similar case and share informations.. Thank you

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:18 am

anton samyvale wrote:Nope I can not use my private message option- neither send nor receive..could anyone please write to me how I could get the permission from the admin. It would be great contacting someone carrying a similar case and share informations.. Thank you
As a newly registered member, you do not have PM access as you have less than 30 posts. If you post nonsense posts to increase your post count, your PM privilege will be permanently disabled.

Members should post in public so that all can benefit and any incorrect advice can be corrected. Sending unsolicited PMs to members for help is also not appropriate.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

Post by anton samyvale » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:57 pm

Thank you for the information.. I would be glad if anyone could advice me how according to the law a period from an out of time application followed by a refusal and then a rejection(invalid application) and finally a grant of visa, becomes an unlawful stay completely till the grant? Is it strictly mentioned in the law? And could a postal strike, home office error, serious illness or an accident be the only situation considered to be out of control?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:01 pm

secret.simon has already given you the best advise. There is nothing you can do now to cover those 5 months without leave. The immigration rules are very clear that you must have 10 years of legal status to qualify on this route for ILR. An overstay period 28 days or less would be overlooked but not 5 months.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

anton samyvale
Newly Registered

Post by anton samyvale » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:08 pm

Thank you for the advice.. After having multiple discussions with lawyers I have understood that the law is strictly not having any space for favour towards my case. However, I have also been amused how is it some applicant with a case who much similar to mine have got away with lengthy gaps.. And it is the sole reason why I have carried the case this far.. Thanks for the valuable advices which I have received so far..

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 4:49 pm

I have also been amused how is it some applicant with a case who much similar to mine have got away with lengthy gaps
Don't get confused by absence and changing visas overseas within the allowed time frame and not having valid leave to remain in the UK for 5 months as you had. I cannot recall seeing any ILR approvals on the Long Residency route with a gap in visas like yours, so saying others are 'getting away' with it is incorrect.

Long residency rules are clear.
Char (CR001 not Casa)