ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

importance of bank statements

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

teekay_tk

importance of bank statements

Post by teekay_tk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:14 pm

hi all
how important is it to attach bank statements with ILR or WP FLR applications. does going into overdraft every month have a negative effect on the application.

regards

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:16 pm

Can you show savings in other accounts?

teekay_tk

Post by teekay_tk » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:22 pm

yes
not much but yes, would that help.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:46 pm

For ILR or work permit FLR applications the purpose of bank statements are to show the Home Office that you have a regular income coming into your bank account. The absolute amount is not important, it's the transactions that the Home Office is looking for.

When I applied for ILR 2 years ago I supplied 6 months of bank statements with my last bank statement showing a balance of £75 (if I remember correctly). Needless to say I got my ILR without any problems.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:16 pm

The purpose of the bank statements is also to show that you won't have to rely on public funds.

SYH
BANNED

Post by SYH » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:40 pm

paulp wrote:The purpose of the bank statements is also to show that you won't have to rely on public funds.
Exactly. So when they ask for bank statements on the form, what is the purpose of the section. that is what you are trying to fulfill

meerkat70
Newly Registered

Post by meerkat70 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:41 pm

Can you supply payslips instead of bank statements?

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:43 pm

meerkat70 wrote:Can you supply payslips instead of bank statements?
I would recommend you supply whatever the guidance notes for your type of leave to remain request you to provide. Nothing more, nothing less.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:51 pm

I'm a strong believer of not sending more than you need to. If, as Dawie says, it's solely to assess income - show they your tax returns for the last x years.

My 14 year application was recently approved. I went against my solicitor's advice and refused to send personal bank statements. I don't trust one HM department to not share it with another, like HMRC. Even if you have nothing to hide it's better to hide it to save yourself a lot of headache. In your case, it may be in your interest to not show the overdrafts as it suggests you may have problems handling money/staying afloat.

The HO has to satisfy itself that you meet certain requirements. There is no exact document list that is guaranteed to satisfy them. It is up to you to provide whatever docs you need to prove you meet all the criteria. You choose the documents.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:54 pm

Pay slips do not show that you can support yourself. If you don't send bank statements you are liable for refusal.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:12 pm

Bank statements that show the applicant always in the red are less likely to show that he can support himself, IMHO.

Suggestion: Get a Chartered Accountant to sign an income/expenditure breakdown.

Let's put it this way - I didn't send bank statements even though they show healthy figures. And mine was a 14 year "illegal immigrant" application!

paulp
Diamond Member

Post by paulp » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:46 pm

OL7MAX wrote:Bank statements that show the applicant always in the red are less likely to show that he can support himself, IMHO.

Suggestion: Get a Chartered Accountant to sign an income/expenditure breakdown.

Let's put it this way - I didn't send bank statements even though they show healthy figures. And mine was a 14 year "illegal immigrant" application!
OL7MAX, don't you think that the purpose of 14 year long residence and 5 year WP applications may be different?

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:53 am

paulp, the question really is whether the HO uses a different yardstick/criteria for measuring financial independence in 5 vs 14.

misha06
Newly Registered

Post by misha06 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Hello everyone :) Interesting forum

I never sent payslips for the ILR application for my wife, just payslips. The application went through no problems in 29 days.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:11 pm

misha06 wrote:Hello everyone :) Interesting forum

I never sent payslips for the ILR application for my wife, just payslips. The application went through no problems in 29 days.
Hmm!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:30 pm

VictoriaS wrote:Pay slips do not show that you can support yourself. If you don't send bank statements you are liable for refusal.

Victoria
Victoria, you might remember me asking you about this a few months ago and you'd advised me to take bank statements along with my payslips to the appointment. As I was unable to find my bank statements, I just took my payslips and had no problems at all..I suppose a lot depends on the caseworker who happens to be processing your application on the day..

misha06
Newly Registered

Post by misha06 » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:32 pm

Opps :oops: should read back before clicking submit.

What I meant was that I never sent bank statements; only payslips for the preceeding 3 months.

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:35 pm

I'm glad it worked out. But my advice is always to supply both, and that you may be refused without bank statements, But if you don't have them, you don't have them, and I'm glad you got good people looking at your applications.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!

thirdwave
Member of Standing

Post by thirdwave » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:36 pm

VictoriaS wrote:I'm glad it worked out. But my advice is always to supply both, and that you may be refused without bank statements, But if you don't have them, you don't have them, and I'm glad you got good people looking at your applications.

Victoria
You are right.It`s always good to err on the side caution and supply both

OL7MAX
Member of Standing

Post by OL7MAX » Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:03 pm

Erring on the side of caution is providing them with the proof they want without giving them more information about personal, private matters than they need to have access to. IMHO, you don't cater your application to the goodness or otherwise of the people handling it. There's law and there are guidelines. Rely on those rather than on getting the HO's only case worker who has a heart.

It would be ludicrous of anyone to feel so terrified of civil servants in the HO that they not only bend over on demand but also buy and supply the vaseline.