ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Marrying a EEA national

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bonseven
Newly Registered

Marrying a EEA national

Post by bonseven » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi,

Iam an Indian national living in the UK on a work visa. I have been here for 4 years and my curret work visa is valid till 2010.

Iam planning to get married to may partner who is from europe( non British) we met about 2 years ago and she has travelled with me to India.

I understand i need a certificate of approval to get mmarried in the UK but what if i either get married in India or in my partners country. I would likee to kow if this would be acceptable in the UK?

also, how do i change my visa status from working visa to be a dependant. Would i have to go to India in order to change my status to a dependant?

what documents i would need for COA and for applying to be a dependant.

Is this a lenghty process or do i have to approach a solicitor

I would be grateful if you could answer my questions. I have tried calling the home office on a few ocassions but i was just refered back to the websites.

Thanks in Advance.
Dev

vinny

Post by vinny » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:57 am

If you plan to get married in the UK, then see also COA. Else, see also 13.10 - Validity of marriages.

After marriage, you have a choice of applying under European Law, provided that your spouse is a qualified person; or

remaining on your work permit and subsequently apply for settlement (134); or

if your partner already has a permanent right of residence, then you may also switch to FLR(M) (285) and subsequently apply for settlement, SET(M) (288), in 2 years' time.

Remember that if you are applying for settlement under UK immigration rules, then you would also have to satisfy the Knowledge of language and life in the United Kingdom requirements.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

bonseven
Newly Registered

Thank you

Post by bonseven » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:17 pm

really appreciate your response.
i was on a student visa for the first year and a half and after that expired i applied for work permit. so it will be 2-3 years till i can apply for a ILR.

say for instance i marry my gf in India and come back to the uk can i switch to dependant visa whils iam in the uk.

Thanks

VictoriaS
inactive

Post by VictoriaS » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:19 am

Yes you can.

Victoria
Going..going...gone!