ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is Surindher Singh Still a Possibility After Brexit?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

honglefresh
Newly Registered

Is Surindher Singh Still a Possibility After Brexit?

Post by honglefresh » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:10 pm

Does anyone know if this can be ruled out now? I (UK national) live in Italy with my Japanese wife, have done for years (both have EU residents card). Can I bring her over, get an EEA1 (which she can work on, right?), wait six months, get an EEA2 and so on? Is it worth doing this, or should I move back and get a job? My understanding is that EE1 is possible (and thus work), so is EEA2 but permanent after 5 years is now unlikely. Any help appreciated.

secret.simon

Re: Is Surindher Singh Still a Possibility After Brexit?

Post by secret.simon » Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:27 pm

The UK is still a part of the EU for at least two years (till March 29 2019 at least) and EU law still applies in the UK. So, yes, Surinder Singh still applies.

What rights you may have after that date (or after Brexit day, if it is postponed) would be decided by the UK-EU negotiations and any subsequent UK law.
I am not a lawyer or immigration advisor. My statements/comments do not constitute legal advice. E&OE. Please do not PM me for advice.