ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help Please - Form AN & Passport Application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

pumpkinlu

Help Please - Form AN & Passport Application

Post by pumpkinlu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:36 am

Dear All,

Last year, I received very helpful advice when applying for my permanent residency. I will become eligible for naturalisation shortly and have already booked my NCS appointment and I am now in the process of completing the forms and preparing supporting evidence and I would like to ask for some help please. Just to clarify, I am an EEA citizen and I acquired permanent residency status in April 2016 (or at least this is what the cover letter from the Home Office states) and got my PR document in November 2016.

Form AN

Section 1.3 -- should I write the date on which I acquired the permanent residency status (April 2016)? I have read the guidance and it is not clear to me whether I need to write anything in here (PR document is dealt with elsewhere in the application) and if so, then what? I am assuming it is the date on which I acquired the PR status, but not sure.

Absences from the UK -- I understand these are calculated on the basis that only full days of absence are counted, i.e., the days on which I travelled from and back to the UK are excluded, is this correct? I had a couple of one day business trips, so the amount of days on which I was absent would be zero - do I need to include these business trips at all? Also, for multi-country trips, I assume I can list them all in one line and do not need to separate it by days if I did not return to the UK in between?

Payment slip -- I noticed the application does not include a payment section. Is there a form somewhere I need to fill in? I intend to pay by card, but it is not clear to me whether I need to fill in an additional document (if so, where do I find it) or if I just pay the fee by card at the NCS appointment?

Supporting Evidence

To be honest, it is not entirely clear to me what documents I need to bring with me to the appointment to ensure I have everything they could ask for. So far, I am thinking of the following:

-- passports for the past 5 years
-- my DCPR together with the Home Office letter confirming when I acquired the PR status
-- my original UK graduation certificate (is this all that is needed for a UK University Degree or shall I also bring the transcript of individual modules?)
-- Life in the UK confirmation letter
-- P60s and payslips for the past 5 years
-- bank statements for the past 5 years

Do I need anything else, e.g., letters from employers -- if so, can I use the once I used for the DCPR and getting an additional letter from my current employer to confirm that I am still working there? Anything else I should be thinking of bringing? Also, I am not sure what evidence is needed to prove the physical presence in the UK 5 years before the application. From my list of absences, it is clear I was not out of the UK on that day. I can provide a letter from my employer to state that I was employed by them on that day and I also have a payslip covering April 2012 & bank statement from April 2012, but no particular letter or an statement entry on the specific day in April 2012?

Passport Application

Section 3 -- I have a valid passport and an old expired passport from my EEA country. I was able to keep both as there was an overlapping validity period and the old passport did not have any biometric details and therefore I requested a new one to get a biometric passport for travel to countries where that was a requirement. Do I need to provide details of both passports? I assume the expired one has been cancelled, but I am not sure?

Section 4 -- This seems to be rather excessive. I am happy completing the information about my parents, but then it says that where the parents were born abroad, I should also provide details of my grandparents and their wedding date etc. I simply do not have all this information, is that an issue? I do not think I could obtain it as it does not appear on my birth certificate and I do not have access to any other documents.

Section 5 -- I assume I can leave this empty?

Section 10 -- I suppose a countersignature is not required since I am applying through the NCS?

Many thanks for your help!

Pumpkin Lu

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Re: Help Please - Form AN & Passport Application

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 am

Form AN

Section 1.3 -- should I write the date on which I acquired the permanent residency status (April 2016)? I have read the guidance and it is not clear to me whether I need to write anything in here (PR document is dealt with elsewhere in the application) and if so, then what? I am assuming it is the date on which I acquired the PR status, but not sure. Leave blank, you don't have ILR you have PR. Complete your PR details in the relevant section for EEA/EU applicant.

Absences from the UK -- I understand these are calculated on the basis that only full days of absence are counted, i.e., the days on which I travelled from and back to the UK are excluded, is this correct? I had a couple of one day business trips, so the amount of days on which I was absent would be zero - do I need to include these business trips at all? Also, for multi-country trips, I assume I can list them all in one line and do not need to separate it by days if I did not return to the UK in between? Correct.

Payment slip -- I noticed the application does not include a payment section. Is there a form somewhere I need to fill in? I intend to pay by card, but it is not clear to me whether I need to fill in an additional document (if so, where do I find it) or if I just pay the fee by card at the NCS appointment? You must complete the fee page. You cannot pay at NCS. See last page in this link : https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... t_2017.pdf
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

pumpkinlu

Post by pumpkinlu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:20 am

Thank you CR001, this is really helpful. Can you also advise on the supporting evidence question please?

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:24 am

Passport Application

Section 3 -- I have a valid passport and an old expired passport from my EEA country. I was able to keep both as there was an overlapping validity period and the old passport did not have any biometric details and therefore I requested a new one to get a biometric passport for travel to countries where that was a requirement. Do I need to provide details of both passports? I assume the expired one has been cancelled, but I am not sure? Not sure what the form asks as it i a paper copy and I cannot find a version online.

Section 4 -- This seems to be rather excessive. I am happy completing the information about my parents, but then it says that where the parents were born abroad, I should also provide details of my grandparents and their wedding date etc. I simply do not have all this information, is that an issue? I do not think I could obtain it as it does not appear on my birth certificate and I do not have access to any other documents. You need to list your parent but NOT your grandparents. Please bear in mind that the form is used for a wide range of applicants born in the UK and born abroad.

Section 5 -- I assume I can leave this empty? Yes because you don't have that yet.

Section 10 -- I suppose a countersignature is not required since I am applying through the NCS? Correct, from what I have seen others post.
Char (CR001 not Casa)
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:26 am

pumpkinlu wrote:Thank you CR001, this is really helpful. Can you also advise on the supporting evidence question please?
The guidance notes for form AN and the AN booklet is useful and lists what is required. Otherwise wait for other to respond to the document question or search the forum of what other EEA/EU members sent (I don't have experience with EU applicants documents etc).
Char (CR001 not Casa)

pumpkinlu

Post by pumpkinlu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:18 am

That's great, thank you very much!

If anyone else can advise what supporting documents they used, I would be grateful.

veraszonyi
Newly Registered

Post by veraszonyi » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Pumpkinlu :) !

I have done and completed two citizenship applications (both approved) by NCS this past year so I think maybe I can be helpful a wee bit.

Section 1.3 -- should I write the date on which I acquired the permanent residency status (April 2016)? I have read the guidance and it is not clear to me whether I need to write anything in here (PR document is dealt with elsewhere in the application) and if so, then what? I am assuming it is the date on which I acquired the PR status, but not sure. The date when you acquired the status. Basically 5 years after you entered the UK with the intention of living here and I assume you were exercising your treaty rights. So yes, you are correct.

Absences from the UK -- I understand these are calculated on the basis that only full days of absence are counted, i.e., the days on which I travelled from and back to the UK are excluded, is this correct? I had a couple of one day business trips, so the amount of days on which I was absent would be zero - do I need to include these business trips at all? Also, for multi-country trips, I assume I can list them all in one line and do not need to separate it by days if I did not return to the UK in between? Yes, the actual days of the travel does not count, also if you were there and back on the same day I don`t think it counts. Multi-country tips, if you can fit them in one line, perhaps yes. I believe the clearer the information, the better.

Payment slip -- I noticed the application does not include a payment section. Is there a form somewhere I need to fill in? I intend to pay by card, but it is not clear to me whether I need to fill in an additional document (if so, where do I find it) or if I just pay the fee by card at the NCS appointment? I paid both of our applications at the NCS appointments.

Supporting Evidence

To be honest, it is not entirely clear to me what documents I need to bring with me to the appointment to ensure I have everything they could ask for. So far, I am thinking of the following:

-- passports for the past 5 years Bring all the passports and identity documents you have, even the cancelled ones, you have nothing to lose.
-- my DCPR together with the Home Office letter confirming when I acquired the PR status
-- my original UK graduation certificate (is this all that is needed for a UK University Degree or shall I also bring the transcript of individual modules?) I assume that is to prove your English language knowledge? Your graduation certificate should do.
-- Life in the UK confirmation letter Most definitely! :)
-- P60s and payslips for the past 5 years I believe you have to prove 6 years of residency.
-- bank statements for the past 5 years Same.

Do I need anything else, e.g., letters from employers -- if so, can I use the once I used for the DCPR and getting an additional letter from my current employer to confirm that I am still working there? Anything else I should be thinking of bringing? Also, I am not sure what evidence is needed to prove the physical presence in the UK 5 years before the application. From my list of absences, it is clear I was not out of the UK on that day. I can provide a letter from my employer to state that I was employed by them on that day and I also have a payslip covering April 2012 & bank statement from April 2012, but no particular letter or an statement entry on the specific day in April 2012? If you have your payslips and P60s covering the 5+1 years, that should be enough. If you want to take your contract of employment as well, why not. I think you should also take utility bills or letters posted to your address, that is to prove that you are actually physically living where you say you do. A few for each year should do. Also the Home Office letter was sent to your address I assume, so that is proof as well.

Passport Application

Section 3 -- I have a valid passport and an old expired passport from my EEA country. I was able to keep both as there was an overlapping validity period and the old passport did not have any biometric details and therefore I requested a new one to get a biometric passport for travel to countries where that was a requirement. Do I need to provide details of both passports? I assume the expired one has been cancelled, but I am not sure? If I remember well in the passport application you have to list all the passport numbers, even the cancelled ones. Just take them with you, if not needed nothing happens. I suggest you if you are not sure of how to fill out some parts of the form correctly just leave it blank and they will help you at the appointment, that is what you are paying for. I actually made a mistake in my passport application and the lady gave me a new form to fill out there and then. She was really helpful, this was in Cardiff though.

Section 4 -- This seems to be rather excessive. I am happy completing the information about my parents, but then it says that where the parents were born abroad, I should also provide details of my grandparents and their wedding date etc. I simply do not have all this information, is that an issue? I do not think I could obtain it as it does not appear on my birth certificate and I do not have access to any other documents. Well, this section is to prove or not to prove if you have British ancestors, I believe. Correct me if I am wrong! To be honest, when I filled out this section I had no idea, so I called my parents and they didn`t remember all the details either, so I just put whatever I could. If I remember well, you don`t even need this section. Again, just ask at the appointment!

Section 5 -- I assume I can leave this empty? No idea what was in Section 5. :D

Section 10 -- I suppose a countersignature is not required since I am applying through the NCS? Sorry, I cannot remember this bit.

All in all what I suggest to anybody (not that I was such an expert or something) is that try to think with the head of the case worker! They have never-ever seen you in their life, don`t know anything about you. All they know about you is what you claim about yourself. Your documents prove who you are so try to be as clear as possible and provide all the paperwork you can to prove you have been exercising your treaty right in the UK! I actually put all our paperwork in order year by year even stick a post-it note on them just to be clear. There were pages on the application form where I was not sure what to write just because simply I couldn`t remember. For instance my travels over the 6 year period. So I wrote at the bottom of the page that I have provided the information to the best of my knowledge and so on.
I hope I have been a bit of help! Feel free to ask!

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:52 pm

veraszonyi wrote:[/color]
Payment slip -- I noticed the application does not include a payment section. Is there a form somewhere I need to fill in? I intend to pay by card, but it is not clear to me whether I need to fill in an additional document (if so, where do I find it) or if I just pay the fee by card at the NCS appointment? I paid both of our applications at the NCS appointments.
Please don't give incorrect information. NCS does not take the payments. Payments are only taken by HO and HMPO. Submitting the payment slips at NCS with your forms and the payment being taken by HO are two very different things.
Char (CR001 not Casa)

pumpkinlu

Post by pumpkinlu » Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:40 pm

Thank you veraszonyi, this has clarified a lot of things for me! I will take as much information with me as I can and then we will see what the NCS person needs.

djiouk
Newly Registered

Post by djiouk » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:22 am

Residence requirements, I do not remember all my absences, most of them but let's say the one from 4 or 5 years, not that much, vaguely. Is that a problem?

Also, do I just need my passport to go to the post office for my biometric enrolment?

Would a letter from the HMRC stating my employment history for the last 5 years enough?

1.49 where can I find the address of tax office or tax office reference?

Thanks,
Francois

alterhase58
Germany

Post by alterhase58 » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:56 am

djiouk wrote:Residence requirements, I do not remember all my absences, most of them but let's say the one from 4 or 5 years, not that much, vaguely. Is that a problem?
Use best estimate (explain if you wish)
Also, do I just need my passport to go to the post office for my biometric enrolment?
No - Once you have submitted your application UKVI will send you a letter requesting you to enrol.
Would a letter from the HMRC stating my employment history for the last 5 years enough?
Not sure, I used employer's letter
1.49 where can I find the address of tax office or tax office reference?
P60 should show reference something like this xxx/yyy
Thanks,
Francois
This is just my opinion as a member of this forum and does not constitute immigration advice.
Please do not send me private messages asking for advice.

pumpkinlu

Post by pumpkinlu » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:21 pm

Just had my NCS appointment this morning and wanted to provide some clarifications on the residency documents if anyone else is in the same situation as I was (EEA national, so no stamps in passport) and might be searching on the forum. It was explained to me this morning that these need to be P60s/pay slips (if submitting pay slips only, these need to cover every month), letters from employers confirming employment (it seems to be OK to re-use the ones from DCPR application & only get a new one for the extra 1 year), letters from university confirming you studied there. Worse case scenario, they would also accept letters from GP/hospital attaching a list of appointments attended, but these need to be at least one a month. It seems that bank statements, council tax bills etc. are not acceptable.

In terms of what I submitted, this included P60s and pay slips for the entire 5 year period and letters from employers covering the same. The registrar took copies of all of these documents.

I hope this helps :)